Pure ONE Classic DAB+ digital radio
A simple Pure digital radio set with good sound quality
- Well-rounded sound, simple and intuitive menus, sturdy design
- Expensive for a basic model, can't record
As a simple introduction to the glittery world of DAB+ digital radio, the Pure One Classic is a good product. Decent monaural sound, an easy interface and a great design combine to create a digital radio that is equally usable at home or while on the move.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The Pure ONE Classic digital radio can receive signals on the DAB+ or FM spectrums and play them back through its full-range, 3in 1.8W speaker. A good design and a refined interface make the ONE Classic a benchmark in the entry-level digital radio market.
With a similar case to the Sangean DPR-99 DAB radio, the Pure ONE Classic conforms to the single-speaker transistor radio stereotype we’ve seen for decades. You’ve seen it all before: speaker on one half and controls on the other, with a telescopic aerial extending from the radio’s top. All this is standard stuff, but it was the ONE Classic’s rubberised satin finish that caught our attention. Thanks to this the digital radio is able to survive everyday wear and tear. As an added bonus the ONE Classic is available in black, white or pink for the fashion forward.
The chromed volume control, which also acts as a general function button, is surrounded by a semi-circle of additional buttons including station presets and an alarm shortcut. The device’s two-line LCD display is easy to read. The buttons are logically laid out and intuitive to use; a result of Pure’s experience in the digital radio market.
This means that the menu of the Pure ONE Classic is easy to navigate, with sub-menus organised in a well thought out order. We had no problems using the radio’s main features as well as adjusting treble and bass in more advanced menus; we think that the ONE Classic would be easy for anyone to use without prior instruction.
Sound quality from the speaker is acceptable for an entry-level model. Pure has used a 3in full-range driver, with bass and mid-range well represented. This gives the ONE Classic a warm and inviting character; we expected that such a small speaker would deliver a clinical and harsh sound. With the bass setting cranked to maximum the Pure ONE Classic's case vibrates noticeably — a sign that the speaker has plenty of power. Maximum volume levels aren’t particularly high, but there’s no distortion even at full power.
All the basic DAB+ features like pausing and rewinding are available, as is scrolling text. The Pure ONE Classic is certified as an EcoPlus product by Pure, signifying that its recycled packaging and low power consumption contribute to a small ecological footprint. We liked the alarm function, which offers different tones and a weekday setting.
A 3.5mm output allows headphones to be connected (or a larger sound system if you’re so inclined). For those who want an old-school radio at their picnic rather than an Apple iPod Touch, the radio is able to accept six C cell batteries or Pure’s proprietary ChargePak which offers 40 hours of playback time.
There’s nothing noticeably wrong with the Pure ONE Classic. As a simple digital radio it’s a great product. It's an attractive purchase for anyone who wants digital radio with a dash of extra functionality.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCFeature Team Lead/Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTService Request ManagerSA
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- CCDynamics CRM Business AnalystNSW
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Testing/Technical WritingOther
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTUser Experience (UX) SpecialistACT
- FTHead of Business Operations - SaaS Product CompanyNSW
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC