Pure ONE Classic DAB+ digital radio
A simple Pure digital radio set with good sound quality
- Well-rounded sound, simple and intuitive menus, sturdy design
- Expensive for a basic model, can't record
As a simple introduction to the glittery world of DAB+ digital radio, the Pure One Classic is a good product. Decent monaural sound, an easy interface and a great design combine to create a digital radio that is equally usable at home or while on the move.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The Pure ONE Classic digital radio can receive signals on the DAB+ or FM spectrums and play them back through its full-range, 3in 1.8W speaker. A good design and a refined interface make the ONE Classic a benchmark in the entry-level digital radio market.
With a similar case to the Sangean DPR-99 DAB radio, the Pure ONE Classic conforms to the single-speaker transistor radio stereotype we’ve seen for decades. You’ve seen it all before: speaker on one half and controls on the other, with a telescopic aerial extending from the radio’s top. All this is standard stuff, but it was the ONE Classic’s rubberised satin finish that caught our attention. Thanks to this the digital radio is able to survive everyday wear and tear. As an added bonus the ONE Classic is available in black, white or pink for the fashion forward.
The chromed volume control, which also acts as a general function button, is surrounded by a semi-circle of additional buttons including station presets and an alarm shortcut. The device’s two-line LCD display is easy to read. The buttons are logically laid out and intuitive to use; a result of Pure’s experience in the digital radio market.
This means that the menu of the Pure ONE Classic is easy to navigate, with sub-menus organised in a well thought out order. We had no problems using the radio’s main features as well as adjusting treble and bass in more advanced menus; we think that the ONE Classic would be easy for anyone to use without prior instruction.
Sound quality from the speaker is acceptable for an entry-level model. Pure has used a 3in full-range driver, with bass and mid-range well represented. This gives the ONE Classic a warm and inviting character; we expected that such a small speaker would deliver a clinical and harsh sound. With the bass setting cranked to maximum the Pure ONE Classic's case vibrates noticeably — a sign that the speaker has plenty of power. Maximum volume levels aren’t particularly high, but there’s no distortion even at full power.
All the basic DAB+ features like pausing and rewinding are available, as is scrolling text. The Pure ONE Classic is certified as an EcoPlus product by Pure, signifying that its recycled packaging and low power consumption contribute to a small ecological footprint. We liked the alarm function, which offers different tones and a weekday setting.
A 3.5mm output allows headphones to be connected (or a larger sound system if you’re so inclined). For those who want an old-school radio at their picnic rather than an Apple iPod Touch, the radio is able to accept six C cell batteries or Pure’s proprietary ChargePak which offers 40 hours of playback time.
There’s nothing noticeably wrong with the Pure ONE Classic. As a simple digital radio it’s a great product. It's an attractive purchase for anyone who wants digital radio with a dash of extra functionality.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- Express Your Style With Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Freestyle Collection
- HomePod review roundup: 'Room filling,' 'best-in-class' sound, but Siri is 'embarrassingly inadequate'
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Apple confirm $499 HomePod for February 9th launch
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSCCM Application PackagerQLD
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- TPIT Project Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- FTFrontend Developer - Angular4/FirebaseNSW
- TPEL1 OBIEE/Java DeveloperACT
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTSecurity AdvisorOther
- FTSCRUM MasterOther
- FTNetwork Architect - Brisbane/PerthOther
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- CCData EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Consultant (Chris 21)Other
- FTTechnical LeadOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTMarketing ExecutiveOther
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTLead Project/Program Manager -Office Fit out & AccommodationOther
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC