Pure ONE Classic DAB+ digital radio
A simple Pure digital radio set with good sound quality
- Well-rounded sound, simple and intuitive menus, sturdy design
- Expensive for a basic model, can't record
As a simple introduction to the glittery world of DAB+ digital radio, the Pure One Classic is a good product. Decent monaural sound, an easy interface and a great design combine to create a digital radio that is equally usable at home or while on the move.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The Pure ONE Classic digital radio can receive signals on the DAB+ or FM spectrums and play them back through its full-range, 3in 1.8W speaker. A good design and a refined interface make the ONE Classic a benchmark in the entry-level digital radio market.
With a similar case to the Sangean DPR-99 DAB radio, the Pure ONE Classic conforms to the single-speaker transistor radio stereotype we’ve seen for decades. You’ve seen it all before: speaker on one half and controls on the other, with a telescopic aerial extending from the radio’s top. All this is standard stuff, but it was the ONE Classic’s rubberised satin finish that caught our attention. Thanks to this the digital radio is able to survive everyday wear and tear. As an added bonus the ONE Classic is available in black, white or pink for the fashion forward.
The chromed volume control, which also acts as a general function button, is surrounded by a semi-circle of additional buttons including station presets and an alarm shortcut. The device’s two-line LCD display is easy to read. The buttons are logically laid out and intuitive to use; a result of Pure’s experience in the digital radio market.
This means that the menu of the Pure ONE Classic is easy to navigate, with sub-menus organised in a well thought out order. We had no problems using the radio’s main features as well as adjusting treble and bass in more advanced menus; we think that the ONE Classic would be easy for anyone to use without prior instruction.
Sound quality from the speaker is acceptable for an entry-level model. Pure has used a 3in full-range driver, with bass and mid-range well represented. This gives the ONE Classic a warm and inviting character; we expected that such a small speaker would deliver a clinical and harsh sound. With the bass setting cranked to maximum the Pure ONE Classic's case vibrates noticeably — a sign that the speaker has plenty of power. Maximum volume levels aren’t particularly high, but there’s no distortion even at full power.
All the basic DAB+ features like pausing and rewinding are available, as is scrolling text. The Pure ONE Classic is certified as an EcoPlus product by Pure, signifying that its recycled packaging and low power consumption contribute to a small ecological footprint. We liked the alarm function, which offers different tones and a weekday setting.
A 3.5mm output allows headphones to be connected (or a larger sound system if you’re so inclined). For those who want an old-school radio at their picnic rather than an Apple iPod Touch, the radio is able to accept six C cell batteries or Pure’s proprietary ChargePak which offers 40 hours of playback time.
There’s nothing noticeably wrong with the Pure ONE Classic. As a simple digital radio it’s a great product. It's an attractive purchase for anyone who wants digital radio with a dash of extra functionality.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Google WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior DevOps Consultant, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (x3)Other
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTSenior Cloud Engineer and SME, AWS, AzureNSW
- FTSOE ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Front End DevelopersOther
- CCPalo Alto Network Security ExpertQLD
- CCCognos Lead / Cognos Developer - CANBERRA BASEDQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTHFC Network Modeller | 6mth ContractOther
- CCCore Java Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCAgile Delivery SpecialistACT
- CCPalo Alto Network Security Expert - BRISBANEWA
- FTSenior Recruitment Specialist |Other
- FTSenior Back End Developer - C++/Perl/PythonOther
- CCAMI ArchitectWA
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- TPTest ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager- Infrastructure & cloud computingOther
- TPSAP ABAP ConsultantWA
- FTBusiness Analyst - Agile & Digital FocusOther
- FTSOE EngineerOther
- FTAccount ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Application Support Consultant (2IC)QLD