IoT botnets have been known for quite a while, but they gained household infamy after Mirai grabbed the headlines back in 2016.
Pure EVOKE-2S digital radio
This digital radio has great speakers and a good design
- Amazing sound quality, sturdy build, packed full of features
- Large and heavy
The Pure EVOKE-2S comes with a hefty price tag but it delivers great sound quality.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Pure EVOKE-2S is an eco-friendly digital radio that receives both digital audio broadcasts (DAB) and FM signals. It's marketed at people who want a digital radio for the kitchen, but you can use this model pretty much anywhere around the house. Pure has produced yet another great digital radio, but it carries a hefty price tag ($699).
The sound quality of the Pure EVOKE-2S is superb. It features a power-efficient Class D amplifier, and it produces clear sound and has a high maximum volume. Built into the unit is a pair of tuned speakers, each with a 15 Watt output rating. Each speaker consists of a dome tweeter and a 3in mid-range driver, and distortion is almost nonexistent when you crank the volume up.
The EVOKE-2S has an OLED display with great viewing angles. You can adjust the display's brightness level and also choose from a variety of styles; one simply has the time on it while others can have radio station names displayed as well as the current song that's playing.
An input for an MP3 player, a headphone jack and an audio out port are located on the back of the radio. A kitchen countdown timer is a nifty little bonus, and this digital radio is also equipped with a programmable alarm clock. You can update the radio's firmware via a USB port; this will be handy if Pure decides to update the interface of the radio, for example.
Like the Pure ONE Classic, the EVOKE-2S has a time-shift feature allowing you to ‘record’ radio for up to 15 minutes. This lets you stop a live broadcast and 'rewind' it (it won't let you save the audio).
The EVOKE-2S offers an impressive 100 presets (the OXX Classic DAB+ only has four).
There are a few drawbacks to the EVOKE-2S: at 2.7kg it's fairly hefty compared to other radios; the menu can be a tad hard to navigate at first (you get used to it); and a battery pack is an optional extra. Considering the price of the radio, we would have liked the battery pack to be included.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- ASUS Zenbook Pro 15: A futuristic, exciting, imperfect, flagship notebook
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies