Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Pure Evoke-1S Marshall digital radio
Pure Evoke-1S Marshall: This digital radio goes up to 11
- Volume goes all the way up to 11, solid build quality, great audio and price!
- Mid-range frequencies are slightly muffled when listening to music at higher volume
We are really impressed with the Pure Evoke-1S Marshall digital radio; it looks and sounds amazing!
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
Out just in time for Christmas, the Pure Evoke-1S Marshall is a digital radio that's perfect for music aficionados, aging rockers or anyone with an appreciation for Marshall Amplifiers. Furthermore, Spinal Tap fans will be tickled pink by the inclusion of a volume dial that goes all the way up to 11!
Check out our guide on how to buy the best digital radio.
The Pure Evoke-1S Marshall is a single speaker digital radio that has been styled to look like a Marshall guitar amplifier. And we have to say, it looks pretty darn cool. Vinyl encases the unit and hard protectors adorn all four corners of the radio. The corner protectors are a hallmark of Marshall amps, and the radio even carries a Marshall badge on its speaker grille.
The build quality of the radio is excellent; it's just as solid as other Pure products we have seen to date. It should be, as underneath all the fancy trimmings it's basically the same radio as the Pure Evoke-1S and the Pure Evoke Mio. In addition to digital radio, the Evoke-1S Marshall can also tune in to FM radio and it has an auxiliary input for connecting an iPod or any other type of MP3 player.
A high contrast yellow-on-black OLED display shows you which station you are tuned in to, and also scrolls information about the music that is currently being played (although this relies on the station supporting this feature). The OLED display features an automatic dimmer, which senses the amount of light in the room and adjusts the screen brightness accordingly.
Buttons numbered from one to six can be found under the OLED display and these can be used to quickly access your favourite stations; up to 30 digital or FM presets can be programmed. On the back is where you’ll find a golden telescopic aerial, a 3.5mm line-in for auxiliary devices, USB (mini B-type) for firmware upgrades, a 3.5mm headphone jack, a 3.5mm line out (analog) jack, and a 3.5mm auxiliary speaker connection. The last of these can be used to attach an optional speaker in order to turn the Evoke-1S Marshall's sound from mono to stereo.
The audio quality of the Evoke-1S Marshall is excellent. Although there is only one 3in, 7W speaker, it handles high volumes easily and there is little to no distortion at all. You can even turn the volume knob all the way up to 11! In our tests, bass frequencies were not overpowering and high frequencies sounded clear and accurate. Mid-range frequencies sounded only slightly muffled when listening to music at higher volumes, but this wasn't overly annoying.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Ultimate Ears unveil Alexa-powered BLAST and MEGABLAST smart speakers
- BeoPlay introduce P6 portable speaker
- Hisense Unveils 2018 ULED TV Range
- Amazon confirm Echo Spot for Australian market
- LG celebrate ThinQ brand with new 2018 TV range
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIT Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTSenior SQL Server Infrastructure Engineer/DBAOther
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTSenior .NET Developer / Consultant - Brisbane based (Work from home/client site)QLD
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTData Reporting AnalystOther
- FTProduct Lead - DatabaseOther
- FTSystem AdministratorVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack Developer - Blue Chip CompanyOther
- CCField Technician - Windows/ Office 365 EnvironmentVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPEL1 Data AnalystACT
- FTSenior Technical Project Manager - starting in 3-4 monthsACT
- FTDesktop Engineer (Windows 10)Other
- FTTest AnalystQLD
- CCChange and Communication SpecialistWA
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET Developer - Brisbane based (work from home/client site)VIC
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - Contract until 30 June 2018QLD
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW