Protac Excel G900
- DVD burner, great display
At 4.9kg, this large desktop replacement may not be very portable, but it packs some power.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
The Excel G900 has a 3.2GHz Mobile Intel Pentium 4 processor coupled with no less than 1GB of DDR memory--albeit of the older 266MHz PC2100 variety. These are fine specifications, and given the low cost of the notebook, the fact that it includes a multiformat DVD burner, 40GB hard disk and 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics controller is quite impressive.
The 17" wide-aspect display looks a treat, with a high viewable angle. We noticed that the keyboard wasn't quite attached properly, a small gripe for an otherwise solid machine.
In addition to the two speakers on either side of the keyboard, there's a small subwoofer underneath the machine. There's also a headphone jack in addition to separate optical-out, front, rear and centre/sub connections for surround sound speakers. A remote is supplied for controlling the integrated TV tuner and its software. Controls on the front fascia allow you to playback CDs without Windows.
Gigabit networking is built in, along with a 56Kbps modem, an integrated six-in-one multi-card reader and support for one type II PC Card. It has a single FireWire port and four high-speed USB 2.0 ports.
Testing the notebook with our benchmarks demonstrated in on-par performance in all areas. Gamers will be interested to learn that Unreal Tournament 2003 testing returned 122 in the Face3 map and 60 for the Inferno map. It in battery test, it managed a worst-case-scenario battery life of 72 minutes.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- ASUS Announces Two New Entries into the VivoBook Range with the VivoBook 14 and VivoBook 15
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTService Desk ConsultantOther
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPSystem TesterQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- FTiMIS EngineerOther
- FTOracle Developer / EngineerACT
- FTEAI DeveloperACT
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersVIC
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Permanent OpportunityQLD
- FTIT Test Automation SpecialistOther
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTWeb Developer (UX Design / Siebel Open UI / CSS)NSW
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- CCMigration EngineerNSW
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTChange ManagerOther
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCTraining and Support LeadACT
- FTDevOps Support EngineerOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW