Secure and Save before time runs out with Bitdefender Exclusive Clearance Offer! Get Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Now!
Plantronics Voyager 855
- Stylish design, comfortable to wear for long periods, excellent incoming and outgoing audio for voice calls
- Sliding microphone open makes the headset feel loose, poor audio quality for music, small controls
Although it acts as a dual-function device, the Voyager 855 is best suited as a regular Bluetooth headset, providing excellent in-call audio quality. The detachable earpiece is a nice idea, but the small buttons and average sound quality diminish its appeal.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
A Bluetooth headset featuring a detachable earpiece cable, the Plantronics Voyager 855 is a dual-function device capable of making and receiving phone calls and streaming stereo Bluetooth audio.
The Voyager 855 consists of two parts – a Bluetooth headset and a detachable earpiece. If you are just using it for phone calls, then it acts as a regular headset. The sliding boom microphone means that voice quality is improved thanks to the microphone being close to your mouth. Conveniently, sliding the microphone also answers and ends calls but although the slider feels smooth, sliding it makes the earpiece feel loose in your ear – especially if you aren't wearing the ear hook.
The Voyager 855 features AudioIQ technology, a digital signal processing (DSP) feature that automatically adjusts sound levels depending on the level of outside noise. The result is clear, crisp, natural sounding audio – both incoming and outgoing audio is excellent. Our callers voice was clear and at notable volume, while callers didn't complain of any issues with outgoing voice.
The Voyager 855 is quite easy to use, with a single call handling button, volume controls and a dedicated mute button. Pressing and holding the call handling button puts the unit into pairing mode (denoted by the indicator light flashing red and blue) and once paired, functions are simple and easy. Press the call handling button or slide the boom microphone to answer a call and press it again or slide the boom closed to end the call. Additional functions include activating voice dialling (provided this is supported by your phone), transferring a call from the headset to your phone and muting the microphone.
The detachable earpiece looks like a regular ear bud, but it's attached to an ear hook via a cable. A small slot at the back of the headset connects the cable and automatically allows the Voyager 855 to stream wireless, stereo audio via A2DP. Unfortunately, the quality of audio streaming isn't anywhere near as impressive as call quality – sound is passable, but far from outstanding, with a lack of crispness and poor bass reproduction the main issues. We also found the controls a little small for music playback, especially the tiny mute button which is used to play and pause your music.
Aesthetically, this is one of the better looking Bluetooth headsets on the market. Although it's quite long (especially with the microphone opened), the gloss black and silver finish adds a touch of class. You can wear the headset without an ear hook, but we preferred the hook as it felt much more secure. The soft rubber ear buds means the Voyager 855 is comfortable to wear for long periods, and the package includes small, medium and large sized ear buds, in addition to an ear hook without the stereo ear bud.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Oppo debut flagship Find X smartphone with almost no-bezels
- Google bring SMS to PCs with Android Messages for Desktop
- Vivo debut first 'zero-bezel' smartphone
- ZTE has to pay up before supply ban is scrapped
- Blackberry reveal KEY2 at NY launch event
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies