Plantronics GameCom X30 For Xbox 360
- Excellent performance, Very comfortable, attractive design
- None to speak of
Plantronics has done it again with a Xbox360 headset that gamers are going to crave.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
In the previous iteration of the Xbox, arguably the best headset made for online communication came from Plantronics. Released in conjunction with Halo 2, the Halo Communicator was highly sought after and widely regarded as combining a comfortable design with superior sound quality. Now that the Xbox 360 is here, Plantronics have once again come to the party with the GameCom X30 and it's every bit as good as the Halo Communicator.
From a design standpoint, the GameCom is pretty sexy with a colour scheme mirroring that found on the Xbox 360 console. It doesn't look good enough to stop your housemates calling you a nerd as you talk to yourself in your bedroom, but if you have to embrace your inner geek, you may as well do it in style.
Plantronics has clearly put some very intelligent minds behind the development of this product. The comfort of the unit was obviously top priority and they have succeeded with their new design. The ear piece has a rubber arm which sits under the ear with a hard plastic upper element holding a 180 degree rotating speaker. This makes it easily adjustable for the left or right ear.
The design looks strange and from first inspection you couldn't imagine that it would actually be comfortable. However, after wearing it for only a short time, you honestly forget it's there. The volume and mute functions are handled via an in-line toggle and mute switch. We would have preferred a mute button with activation light but since the switch seems to be much sturdier than the official communicator, it is more than acceptable.
The sound quality of the speaker is quite exceptional with clear audio and a good volume level. Compared to the official Xbox 360 communicator, the level of volume is far more usable and can easily be heard over the television, even when using a thumping custom game soundtrack. The microphone is also high grade delivering clean voice across the Xbox Live service. The noise canceling is quite effective too, blocking out much ambient noise and also quite a bit of television volume as well.
Overall, we can easily say that this is the best headset currently available for the Xbox 360. Since there are so few of them on the market, this statement may not bear much weight just yet. The test will be in the coming months as more third party headsets become available and after Microsoft release their recently announced wireless headset. It should also be mentioned that the headset can be used for the original Xbox console as well, although it seems clearly meant primarily for the 360.
If you are currently looking for a headset or own an official one and are looking to upgrade, check out the GameCom X30. The price is fairly high but once you have used it we are confident that you won't be disappointed.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on: Middle Earth: Shadow of War gets more creative with Tolkien's universe
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire shows off old friends and a mysterious new world
- E3 2017 day 2 wrap-up: Destiny 2 on PC, Wolfenstein returns, and Ubisoft games galore
- Xbox One X vs PlayStation 4 Pro: The console wars level up with powerful new hardware
- E3 2017 day one wrap-up: Call of Duty WWII, Intel's wireless VR, and crushing crowds
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProject Implementation ManagerOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsOther
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- FTWintel Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTSolution Architect - CloudQLD
- FTJunior Java developerACT
- FTProject Manager- Infrastructure & cloud computingOther
- FTProject Manager - Service Migration & DataNSW
- CCICT Training ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPPMO ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Change ManagerACT
- CCData ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTCX Lead/Customer experience/Customer marketingOther
- FTIT Support Specialist - Level 2Other
- FTEmail Marketing SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Internal Security Consultant - TelcoVIC
- FTWeb Developer | 6- 12mths ContractOther
- FTSenior HFC EngineerNSW
- FTSystem Engineer - Data Centre - TelcoVIC