Plantronics Gamecom 780 gaming headphones
These headphones have Dolby 7.1 surround sound
- Great sound for movies and games
- Bargain price
- Plastic finish
- No surround sound for Mac
The Gamecom 780 is a bargain of a headset at just £38 offering a cool retro design, comfort and Dolby 7.1 surround. Sound performance is great for games and movies, and almost as good for music. It's a shame the excellent surround sound feature isn’t compatible with Macs and the finish is a little on the plastic side.
Price$ 85.00 (AUD)
The Gamecom 780 is the latest gaming headset from Plantronics featuring a retro design and Dolby Digital virtual 7.1 surround sound.
This headset sells for just $85, making it a very affordable option and successor to the chunky Gamecom 777. The design has a retro-aviation look to it, with exposed cables running from the ear-pieces into the headband.
Unlike the Gamecom 777, the 780 has its controls mounted on the left earpiece instead of an in-line controller. At the front a glowing blue button toggles the Dolby enhancements, while the rear houses a volume rocker and microphone mute switch. Unfortunately the volume level can only be adjusted in pre-defined steps with each flick of the rocker - although we could always fine-tune the level suitably. The fold-down microphone is also attached to the left ear-piece.
The long 2m cable has a USB port at the end of it to plug into your PC or Mac. Unfortunately, the 7.1 surround sound only works for PC users — Mac users will only get stereo.
Both ear pieces swivel flat, should you want them to lie on your desk easier. We found the Gamecom 780 to be flexible and durable, although they are a little on the plastic side.
The Gamecom 780 looks like quite a bulky headset but is deceptively light. For this reason, as well as the large pads on the ear pieces and headband, we found comfort to be excellent. We were able to wear the headset for long periods of time without any bother, apart from getting slightly hot ears.
Sound quality was excellent with a clear and punchy detail for a range of uses. The PC software allows you to switch between tailored modes for music or games/movies. Although there's a mode for music this headset is aimed at gamers and doesn't pack the thumping bass that some might like for listening to music.
The virtual surround by Dolby provides that extra level of immersion when it comes to games and movies. We found it especially handy for spatial awareness in first person shooters like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
To round-off the good sound performance we found the quality of the microphone to be very good with vocals coming through clear to teammates online.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 3a review: Less is more
- 2 Moto G7 review: The new gold standard for budget buyers
- 3 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft go true wireless with Surface Earbuds
- Plantronics bolster their true wireless BackBeat lineup
- IFA 2019: Sony's new noise-cancelling headphones look colorful but familiar
- IFA 2019: Jabra make battery life gains with Elite 75t wireless earbuds
- IFA 2019: Sennheiser introduce third generation Momentum Wireless headphones
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- Happy iPhone Day: Here's everything Apple just announced
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Australian review (2019)
- Best true wireless earbuds: Jabra vs Sony vs Beats
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies