Plantronics Explorer 370
A Bluetooth headset designed for extreme conditions.
- Water, dust and shock resistant; durable design; ease of use
- Large and bulky; volume buttons require a firm press; ear bud is uncomfortable
If you're looking for a Bluetooth headset that can withstand dust and water, then the Explorer 370 is for you.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
Water, dust and shock resistance are not attributes you would normally associate with a Bluetooth headset. But that’s exactly what Plantronics has provided with its Explorer 370. IP54 rated to survive humidity, dust and water, the Explorer 370 is a headset that has been designed to take a harsh beating.
The Explorer 370 bucks the trend of recent Bluetooth headsets with a design that is much larger than we are used to seeing. Many of these devices are getting smaller and attempting to appeal to the fashion-conscious crowd, but the Explorer 370 has a tough, no-nonsense look. The rubber and plastic construction feels sturdy and solid, but if you are looking for something that doesn't stand out, then this isn't the headset for you.
Unlike many competing models, the Explorer 370's ear hook isn't detachable, but it's conveniently mounted on a small rotating panel, so it can be twisted 360 degrees and folded to either side. This means it can be worn on either the left or right ear. Perhaps the biggest annoyance is the ear bud — it is uncomfortably large and we struggled to maintain a good fit.
The Explorer 370's IP54 certification means it has been built to an international standard of protection against dust, accidental contact with water and shocks. We put it through its paces by splashing it with water while on a call and throwing it around the office like a football — it didn't skip a beat.
With only three buttons, the Explorer 370 is a breeze to pair and operate. A small LED on the front flashes blue, red and purple to denote the headset's status, while the controls are largely focussed around the call control button. A minor complaint is the fact that the volume controls require a very firm press to activate, which can be difficult while you are wearing the headset.
Outgoing audio quality is generally clear and volume is reasonable, but incoming audio, even at full volume, lacks punch. Plantronics claims to use an "innovative filter" that blocks wind, but both wind and background noise affected incoming audio.
Battery life is rated at up to seven hours' talk time and eight days' standby time. A microUSB AC charger is included in the sales package, along with a lanyard that allows you to hang the headset around your neck.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google wants to solve the Android update problem once and for all with Project Treble
- Intel concerned about name of John McAfee’s privacy phone
- Low-cost Android phones to get iPhone features with new Qualcomm chips
- Qualcomm's Quick Charge 4 is coming in phones midyear
- Apple's next iPhones may cut corners on memory due to price squeeze
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - Contract till June 2018QLD
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieQLD
- TPSupport Engineer (Security Tools)VIC
- CCSharepoint Analyst / DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer (Wireless) - Support & DesignQLD
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageVIC
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- CCMid-level Business Process Analyst (Automation) - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Application Support ConsultantQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - ImprovementQLD
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW