Pioneer Computers Australia DreamBook Power 900
- Performance, features
- Weight, battery, warranty
Lack of warranty and the other cons make this one not worth the price point.
Price$ 4,999.00 (AUD)
The Power 900 is a well-built multimedia desktop replacement that would be ideal for video and gaming enthusiasts. At 5.7kg, it's a huge notebook with more features than we've ever seen.
The 17.1" widescreen display has a coating that reduces reflection and increases contrast. Just above, there's a built-in 640 x 480 CCD camera. The notebook has ample palm rests and full-sized keyboard with dedicated number pad.
The front has playback controls and an LED display for Windows-independent audio CD playback. Pioneer also bundles an external standard definition digital TV tuner with remote--great for that big screen.
Graphics are served up by Nvidia's 256MB GeForce Go 6800 controller that, together with the 3.6GHz Pentium 4 processor and 1GB of memory, achieved an amazing graphic score in 3DMark 2001 (17,173).
Pioneer has also graced the Power 900 with the power of two 100GB hard drives (configured in RAID), two internal dual-layer DVD burners, two FireWire ports and both headphone and S/PDIF audio-out. This model also includes an integrated seven-in-one card reader plus four USB 2.0 and single serial, parallel, and PS/2 ports.
It had poor battery life in our tests, lasting only 50 minutes under a heavy workload.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Surface Pro is Microsoft's long-awaited Surface Pro 4 upgrade, restyled as a laptop
- Google explains why Android apps still aren't on Chromebooks
- HP's Spectre x2 may be the Surface Pro killer we've been waiting for
- Asus ROG teases the world's first AMD Ryzen laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTx3 Field EngineersVIC
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- CCData Scientists - MultipleACT
- FTSecurity Dev Ops and Java DeveloperVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTIT Systems Specialist- Database l Bathurst LocationNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTICT Transformation Integration ManagerNSW
- CCData ArchitectWA
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsNSW
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- FTWeb Content WriterACT