- Highly 'future-proof', great audio quality, video upscaling, feature packed, full list of supported surround sound formats, excellent automatic calibration tool
A truly fantastic AV receiver, one sure to last for a long time to come, the LX60's only major drawback is its price.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
Pioneer's VSX-LX60 is the company's new, high-end AV receiver, designed primarily to take advantage of the new age of high definition. Sporting HDMI 1.3, 1080p upscaling, and full support for the new high-definition audio formats, the LX60 is supremely 'future-proof'. In addition to this, it also boasts excellent audio and video quality, and is Air Studios tuned and THX Select2 certified. It does come at a price, however, and like the rest of Pioneer's LX range, it's aimed specifically at high-end enthusiasts.
The LX60 drives 130W per channel through 7 channels at 8 ohms, making it a fairly powerful amplifier. With a total harmonic distortion of 0.09 per cent, it also delivers excellent fidelity. THX certified for rooms with viewing distances of up to approximately 4 metres, this receiver's audio capabilities are excellent. During our tests we were unable to detect any significant flaws at all, and the entire audio range was well represented and balanced. Clarity is excellent, even reaching up through the highest frequencies.
Video is equally as impressive, with full support for 1080/24p Blu-ray playback, which looks stunning. HDMI upscaling to 1080p is also present, and the quality improvements are very noticeable, with a definite improvement to clarity and definition.
The back panel is replete with more connections that you could shake an HDMI cable at. Three HDMI 1.3 inputs are present, as well as multiple component, coaxial, composite, optical, analogue audio, S-Video, and more. A single USB port for audio input is also available, as is an iPod-specific connection. Finally, cable hookups for up to seven speakers are available.
Pioneer has included a complete range of sound fields and audio codecs. In addition to a full range of Dolby and DTS formats, the LX60 is also capable of handling the new, lossless HD audio codecs, including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS HD.
The receiver also packs a fully fledged feature list. THX sound fields, sound retriever (which improves compressed audio quality, such as that in MP3s, WMAs, and OGGs), direct sound (which bypasses unnecessary steps to increase fidelity), and customisable speaker levels are all available.
Calibration is exceptionally easy thanks to the automated MCACC technology. In addition to simply calibrating speaker levels relative to the listening position (including both delay and sound 'pressure'), MCACC also attempts to customise the sound based on the listening environment and speaker size and bass capacity. We were highly impressed with the results of this during our testing, and even after hours of fiddling, we found we were unable to surpass the settings it selected.
The remote delivers standard universal remote functionality, allowing users to control other home entertainment products connected to the system. It's a little unwieldy however, and lacks backlighting, but otherwise it's quite functional and easy to use.
The LX60 is a fantastic receiver. It's highly 'future-proof', with HDMI 1.3 and support for the latest in surround sound technology, and as well as delivering excellent audio and video performance, and a huge bundle of features. A high asking price is its major drawback, but those that can afford it will appreciate its quality.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEAI DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- CCAgile Business Analyst - BrisbaneQLD
- TPTechnical Specialst (Office 365/Azure)SA
- FTSenior Security ConsultantOther
- FTC ++ DeveloperNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect / Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCTest LeadNSW
- TPSenior/Principal Business Analyst - TransformationQLD
- FTRadio Communications Field TechnicianOther
- FTProject Manager - PLMOther
- FTProgram Director - Consulting FirmACT
- CCSenior Cloud and Automation Engineers x2ACT
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- CCMySQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Support HP ALMACT
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantACT
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- FTTechnical Specialist - IP Networks / TelcoOther
- FTRobotic Process Automation Developer LeadOther
- FTProject Manager - Property /Engineering/ Construction - GovtOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - RoboticsNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Permanent OpportunityQLD