- Brilliant blacks, incredibly crisp image, great colours, full 1080p, 24Hz capable
- Some minor noise evident in standard definition from close up, costly
To put it simply, Pioneer's PDP-LX608A is the best plasma around right now. While you certainly pay a hefty price if you can afford it, this TV will handle both high- and standard-definition content perfectly.
Price$ 11,999.00 (AUD)
They say that money can't buy happiness, however we beg to differ. Whoever exactly wrote that proverb clearly hadn't laid eyes upon Pioneer's PDP-LX608A. For the princely sum of nearly $12,000 you can have your own perfect little slice of home entertainment and let us assure you, happiness will most definitely follow.
This 60in, full 1080p plasma television is the best plasma we've had come through the office. We said the same thing about the last Pioneer TV we looked at, the KURO PDP-508XDA but the truth is they just keep on improving.
The image produced by the LX608A is nothing short of stunning. From the moment you power it up you are greeted by deep rich blacks which outdo those produced by any other model on the market. With a massive contrast ratio of 20,000:1 this is to be expected and in our film tests even the darkest areas were rendered with precision and detail.
It is difficult to put into words our experience during our HD tests. To put it simply we noticed no flaws at all. Colours were rich and vivid, but nothing was oversaturated. Edges were crisp and sharp and there were no artefacts or aberrations to be seen anywhere. We couldn't spot any grain or noise either while fast-paced motion was handled perfectly in our HD gaming tests.
The panel includes 24Hz support when running via 1080p which really helps smooth out the image. Most film is shot at a speed of 24 frames per second, and so when a regular television refreshes the image 50 or 60 times a second there can be a noticeable stutter at times. The 24Hz technology eliminates this problem and makes for a more natural viewing experience.
Standard definition was similarly impressive. It is always a trial for a full HD TV to properly render SD footage as there is an immense amount of scaling required. This did have an impact, in the form of a slightly noisier picture than normal. However, we could only notice this when sitting basically right in front of the panel and from any reasonable viewing distance the image was brilliant. There were none of the usual tell-tale scaling artefacts to be seen at all and the incredible black levels really stood out in our test scenes from The Matrix.
PC connectivity did exhibit some minor issues when connected via VGA. There was quite a bit of signal noise evident in some of the moire test patterns in DisplayMate Video Edition and we would occasionally get lines and aberrations appearing on the desktop itself, but both of these issues are largely symptomatic of the VGA medium itself rather than any flaws in the panel. We'd recommend anyone who wants to run a media centre using this display to connect via a DVI to HDMI cable to achieve the best possible picture. VGA also seems to limit you to 1366x768, which obviously isn't the panel's native resolution.
The included speakers produce good quality sound although you'd be doing yourself a great disservice not supporting this panel with a 5.1 surround setup. All the inputs you'd expect are present including three HDMI ports, and there are both analogue and digital tuners.
Aesthetically this model looks great, with a uniform, gloss black bezel and little in the way of gaudy extras. Also note that its size may make it impractical for many rooms. While it always feels like bigger is better, with televisions you do get to a point where something is just too large and if you have a small- or medium-sized room that may be the case with this model. You'll want at least a few metres viewing distance between the panel and your couch.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Hisense's 2018 TV Lineup Is 'A Whole Other Story' For Australians
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Sony's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Samsung's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Hisense's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At TCL's Press Conference
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCCapacity ManagerACT
- FTRail Program Manager/ Senior PMOther
- FTBusiness Analyst (Engineer) Mining SystemsOther
- FTHFC Project Manager (Delivery) - ContractVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCUser Interface DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Technical Test AnalystOther
- FTProject Coordinator, Technology ProjectsOther
- CCSecurity SpecialistQLD
- CCLead Technical Specialist ? Wintel PlatformVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTVarious DevelopersACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- CCLead Technical Specialist ? Storage & BackupsVIC
- FTSenior Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior System AdministratorOther
- FTImplementation ManagerNSW
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTAPI DeveloperOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer C++ - Financial Services - Permanent - SydneyNSW