Pioneer KURO PDP-508XDA
- Flawless image quality across all modes, excellent speakers, integrated HDTV tuner, attractive design.
- High price tag
The Pioneer KURO PDP-508XDA is easily the best plasma television we have reviewed thus far. Even though it is a little more expensive than other 50in plasmas on the market, it is money well spent.
Price$ 5,699.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer KURO PDP-508XDA is the best plasma television we have ever reviewed. In every test we performed on the panel, it delivered flawless results. It has a native resolution of 1366x768 but can also display 1080p content via scaling. In standard definition the image quality continued to impress and it was even perfect in PC mode.
Pioneer has done something very different than what you would expect. Rather than simply build upon their 7th generation plasma they chose to start from scratch and reassess both the strengths and weaknesses of their panels. KURO is the name given to their new line of televisions which was chosen as it is the Japanese word for black. The PDP-508XDA has black levels far superior to any other plasma panel on the market and due to a number of new technologies designed to reduce screen reflection and isolate each plasma cell to increase brightness and make blacks and colours as pure as possible.
We ran intensive tests on the panel in an attempt to find imaging faults but found none. We were surprised to find that no matter what source we connected, the panel consistently delivered results which were superior to any plasma we have previously reviewed. Even the PC mode, which is a function most plasma televisions tend to struggle with, we didn't find any image quality problems.
First up we tested the 1080p capabilities by watching Blu-ray films and playing games at 1080p over a HDMI connection. The black levels and lack of screen reflection are the first things we noticed. With pure blacks comes excellent colour. The colours were vibrant with no over-saturated or overt colours. The contrast between light and dark areas was also noteworthy as there was no stepping, and the blend between different shades of colour was sublime. There was also no pixelation or over-sharpening, which is particularly impressive when you consider that the panel needs to downscale 1080p content to fit on its native 720p panel.
At 720p, we ran the same gaming and movie tests but also added 720p video files and high-definition calibration demonstrations to the mix. Again, there were no problems at all. We were expecting the panel to perform better in 720p than it did scaling 1080p content but they looked the same. While it isn't a true 1080p television, it certainly has the potential to be used for that purpose if you can't afford the rather expensive 1080p version. We would even go so far as to say that this panel outperforms many 1080p televisions on the market at the moment.
Our DVD collection looked amazing while testing standard definition. Granted, there was some detail loss due to the lower resolution but on a whole it looked far better than we have seen a DVD look with excellent colour and blacks with no pixelation or contrast stepping.
In PC mode we were able to obtain a resolution of 1360x768 which is fairly close to the native resolution of the panel. The desktop image was flawless with no over-sharpening or pixelation on the desktop items and our tests via DisplayMate Video edition were all passed with flying colours.
The speakers on the panel are exceptional and deliver loud volume with clarity and are distortion free, even at high volume. This is the first five-star television review we have done and the reason for it isn't just the quality of the panel. While quality is the over-riding factor, others also contributed to the score. Firstly, the fact that Pioneer re-engineered their whole line-up shows a great commitment to their given technology and a level of self awareness that many plasma manufacturers fail to embrace. Second, their customer support structure is unparalleled. In addition to a five-year warranty, they also include free delivery, installation and calibration of the television. They have faith in their television and, after our testing, we can see why.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- First Look: LG's Signature Range
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC
- FTSalesforce ConsultantVIC
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTGeneral Manager - Security, Risk & ComplianceNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - CRMQLD
- FTJAVA DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer - C++ and NodeQLD
- TPEnterprise Applications AdministratorQLD
- TPData Migration Developer - SalesforceNSW
- FTMS SQL AdministratorOther
- CCEvent ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Technical Support EngineerACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCSenior Marketing SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTChange Analyst - Business & TransformationOther
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther