So, what do I want out of my next laptop and what must it include?
- Fast DL write speeds, great DVD reading
- Sluggish CD ripping, poor software
An extremely fast double layer burner. If you just want good single layer DVD performance and adequate CD capabilities, then some of the more inexpensive models in this review will do just as good a job.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer has some of the fastest writing speeds in the review; it is rated at 8X for DVD+RW discs and 6x for DVD-RW discs, as well as 16X for both DVD+R and DVD-R and 6X for DVD+R DL discs.
It's one of the best exponents of double layer burning that we have tested. In our tests, it filled a double layer disc with 7.9GB of data in only 19 minutes and 52 seconds. It read it back to us in 20 minutes and 13 seconds, which is roughly average compared to other drives we have tested.
Its DVD+R and DVD-R write performance was solid, and its DVD reading performance was exceptional.
It didn't fare too well with CDs in our testing, especially in our music ripping test, which recorded a very sluggish time.
At the time of writing, Pioneer planned to make available firmware updates that will allow the A09XLA to write to double layer DVD-R discs, as well as 8X DVD-RW discs.
We don't like the Ulead burn software that this drive ships with. It was limited in its functionality and did not allow us to select a burn speed for our discs manually.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Synology releases new DiskStation DS1618+
- Synology announces Virtual Machine Manager Pro
- Synology announces DiskStation Manager 6.2
- Synology refresh Active Backup Packages
- Samsung Electronics introduces Pro Endurance microSD
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- BattleTech review: Heavy metal
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies