- Fast transfer, high image quality, many features, intuitive interface
- Poor remote control design, slow channel switching
Its image quality is stellar, and its dubbing superfast. Aside from a cramped remote, there's little to complain about with this Pioneer.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
The more you archive video from this unit's 80GB hard drive to DVD-R, the happier you'll be that you bought it. With an 8X DVD recorder built-in, the Pioneer transferred movies to disc at a blistering rate during our tests.
But the Pioneer isn't only about speed. Its recording quality was outstanding, both in one-hour and six-hour modes. And it's packed with features, including a disc librarian for maintaining a history of your recordings (if you opt to enter disc information manually into the unit's memory), and an editor for trimming video and deleting commercials.
The DVR-520H-S's on-screen interface may not be the prettiest we've seen, but it is reasonably intuitive, offering a good combination of graphics and text. And I loved this model's convenient on-remote commercial skip, which lets you add 30-second increments to the skip time so that you can jump past up to 5 minutes' worth of commercials at once.
Although the Pioneer stands tall in most respects, I had a few gripes. I wasn't enthusiastic about the remote control's design, and the unit's inability to schedule daily or weekly recordings without employing VCR Plus+ codes is mystifying. In addition, as an avid channel surfer, I was unimpressed by the recorder's snail's-pace channel switching.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- Express Your Style With Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Freestyle Collection
- HomePod review roundup: 'Room filling,' 'best-in-class' sound, but Siri is 'embarrassingly inadequate'
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Apple confirm $499 HomePod for February 9th launch
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSnr SQL DBAQLD
- CCMaximo DeveloperNSW
- FTSr Java Developer- Spring,Rest, Apache Tomcat, XML,Scrum MasterOther
- FTImplementation Project ManagerOther
- CCPython DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCTririga DeveloperVIC
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTTest LeadNSW
- FTAndroid Developer - 6 Month ContractOther
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- CCHyperion Reporting Analyst - Contract initially - Large Telco in SydneyNSW
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- PTTest Engineer - Insurance domainQLD
- FTWeb Developer - HTML / CSS / SASSOther
- CCMid-level Architect/Technical Lead ( Java/J2EE)QLD
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- CCChange ManagerQLD