- Fast transfer, high image quality, many features, intuitive interface
- Poor remote control design, slow channel switching
Its image quality is stellar, and its dubbing superfast. Aside from a cramped remote, there's little to complain about with this Pioneer.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
The more you archive video from this unit's 80GB hard drive to DVD-R, the happier you'll be that you bought it. With an 8X DVD recorder built-in, the Pioneer transferred movies to disc at a blistering rate during our tests.
But the Pioneer isn't only about speed. Its recording quality was outstanding, both in one-hour and six-hour modes. And it's packed with features, including a disc librarian for maintaining a history of your recordings (if you opt to enter disc information manually into the unit's memory), and an editor for trimming video and deleting commercials.
The DVR-520H-S's on-screen interface may not be the prettiest we've seen, but it is reasonably intuitive, offering a good combination of graphics and text. And I loved this model's convenient on-remote commercial skip, which lets you add 30-second increments to the skip time so that you can jump past up to 5 minutes' worth of commercials at once.
Although the Pioneer stands tall in most respects, I had a few gripes. I wasn't enthusiastic about the remote control's design, and the unit's inability to schedule daily or weekly recordings without employing VCR Plus+ codes is mystifying. In addition, as an avid channel surfer, I was unimpressed by the recorder's snail's-pace channel switching.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical WriterVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOVIC
- FTWEB DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEWA
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerWA
- FTManagement AccountantNSW
- FTAccount Manager - Technology SolutionsNSW
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - MurwillumbahNSW