- Superb DVD write speed, very fast double layer DVD write speed
- Slightly slow double layer DVD read speed, double layer burns can not be read by older drives, it still relies on IDE instead of SATA
This drive is a superb choice if you want speedy burns. Get it especially if you burn a lot of double layer DVDs.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer DVR-112D DVD burner is the current champion when it comes to burning both single and double layer DVDs. It manages to outdo the competition due to its support for fast burn rates of up to 18x for single layer DVDs and 10x for double layer discs.
So far, it's the only burner that has successfully burnt at these speeds to our Verbatim 16x single layer DVDs and 6x double layer DVDs. Most of Pioneer's competitors burners top out at 16x and 6x, respectively, for those discs. Even the Sony DRU-830A, which has support for speeds up to 18x for single layer DVD writing, could only write to our single layer Verbatim media at 16x.
However, the time difference between 16x and 18x burn rates is not substantial. Our Verbatim DVD+R discs burnt 4GB of data at 18x in 5min 15secs, and in 5min 42secs at 16x. Its DVD-R performance was slightly faster than its DVD+R performance at 18x, where it burnt to this type of disc in 5min 07s. At 16x, the DVD-R burn completed in 6min 02s, which is a more noticeable difference.
If you regularly burn double layer DVDs, then this burner is head and shoulders above its competitors. A typical DVD+R DL burn at 8x will take 16min 10secs. If your media is detected at 10x, then the DVR-112D will shave 21 seconds off the burn time - it completed the fastest DVD+R DL burn in 15min 49secs. This is a good two minutes quicker burning to double layer media than the AOpen's DSW1812P, the next fastest DVD burner we have recently tested.
Data burnt to double layer discs was read back in a slightly slower time than we expected and, in fact, it was the slowest reading drive for these types of discs. The single layer read speed was fast compared to other drives we have seen with a 12x read rating for this type of media. While the double layer discs were burnt quickly, they weren't readable in our older Pioneer DVR-107D DVD burner.
As for its CD performance, the DVR-112D is capable of burning a full CD in three and a half minutes at a rate of 40x, while it can extract audio files from a CD in just over two and a half minutes.
Noise from the drive, even while it was spinning at its fastest rate, was not overly noticeable, and vibration from the drive was virtually non-existent in our Thermaltake Shark case.
Pioneer ships the drive with Nero Essentials 7, which will not install properly if you have a previous version of Nero on your system, so make sure you completely uninstall your Nero software if you're upgrading to this drive.
If you are looking for the fastest burner on the market, look no further. The DVR-112D will provide you with a noticeable improvement when burning to double layer media, and it will also burn to single layer media quicker than ever before.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantQLD
- FTManagement AccountantNSW
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTNetwork Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTQueue ManagerACT
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- FTTest Engineer | $92 p/hrVIC
- FTBI Developer (SQL Server Reporting Services)SA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCSolution Designer with PEGA experience- TelcoVIC
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- FTDatabase Developer - SQLACT
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, WealthNSW
- FTPHP DeveloperWA