- Superb DVD write speed, very fast double layer DVD write speed
- Slightly slow double layer DVD read speed, double layer burns can not be read by older drives, it still relies on IDE instead of SATA
This drive is a superb choice if you want speedy burns. Get it especially if you burn a lot of double layer DVDs.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer DVR-112D DVD burner is the current champion when it comes to burning both single and double layer DVDs. It manages to outdo the competition due to its support for fast burn rates of up to 18x for single layer DVDs and 10x for double layer discs.
So far, it's the only burner that has successfully burnt at these speeds to our Verbatim 16x single layer DVDs and 6x double layer DVDs. Most of Pioneer's competitors burners top out at 16x and 6x, respectively, for those discs. Even the Sony DRU-830A, which has support for speeds up to 18x for single layer DVD writing, could only write to our single layer Verbatim media at 16x.
However, the time difference between 16x and 18x burn rates is not substantial. Our Verbatim DVD+R discs burnt 4GB of data at 18x in 5min 15secs, and in 5min 42secs at 16x. Its DVD-R performance was slightly faster than its DVD+R performance at 18x, where it burnt to this type of disc in 5min 07s. At 16x, the DVD-R burn completed in 6min 02s, which is a more noticeable difference.
If you regularly burn double layer DVDs, then this burner is head and shoulders above its competitors. A typical DVD+R DL burn at 8x will take 16min 10secs. If your media is detected at 10x, then the DVR-112D will shave 21 seconds off the burn time - it completed the fastest DVD+R DL burn in 15min 49secs. This is a good two minutes quicker burning to double layer media than the AOpen's DSW1812P, the next fastest DVD burner we have recently tested.
Data burnt to double layer discs was read back in a slightly slower time than we expected and, in fact, it was the slowest reading drive for these types of discs. The single layer read speed was fast compared to other drives we have seen with a 12x read rating for this type of media. While the double layer discs were burnt quickly, they weren't readable in our older Pioneer DVR-107D DVD burner.
As for its CD performance, the DVR-112D is capable of burning a full CD in three and a half minutes at a rate of 40x, while it can extract audio files from a CD in just over two and a half minutes.
Noise from the drive, even while it was spinning at its fastest rate, was not overly noticeable, and vibration from the drive was virtually non-existent in our Thermaltake Shark case.
Pioneer ships the drive with Nero Essentials 7, which will not install properly if you have a previous version of Nero on your system, so make sure you completely uninstall your Nero software if you're upgrading to this drive.
If you are looking for the fastest burner on the market, look no further. The DVR-112D will provide you with a noticeable improvement when burning to double layer media, and it will also burn to single layer media quicker than ever before.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- CCDBA / Database Services SME - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTManagement Consultant, Strategy, New Products, TransformationsOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTHadoop DevelopersOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD