- Great quality Blu-ray and DVD playback, media streaming
- Very expensive
Ignoring price, this is probably the best Blu-ray player we've seen to date. If you're willing to pay a premium then it's an excellent product.
Price$ 1,799.00 (AUD)
Pioneer's BDP-LX70A is a high-end Blu-ray player, geared towards enthusiasts. As with other similarly high-end players, it attempts to distinguish itself through its audio features and performance, whilst maintaining the already high standard of video playback found on most Blu-ray players these days. Although it succeeds in both these tasks, it also comes with an RRP almost double that of some other players.
Video quality is of the standard that we've come to expect from Blu-ray. 1080p/24Hz support, along with customisable white and black levels and colour hues, allows users to experience Blu-ray to its fullest extent. Playback tended to be a lot smoother in our tests than it was with other players that we've seen, and lag is comparatively minimal when skipping chapters/titles .
DVD upscaling is just as good, with a noticeable improvement in quality – essential for DVD playback on most high-definition screens. Images are sharp and clear, and we didn't notice any image flaws or glitches in our tests. The LX70A should be capable of replacing all but the most high-end of DVD players in most home entertainment setups.
Audio is exceptional, with full support for DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD bit-stream output and support for 7.1 surround sound. With HDMI 1.3 it comes highly recommended for audio enthusiasts – it has the most impressive audio capabilities that we've seen in a Blu-ray player to date. Although most of the audio quality of the player is dependant upon the user having access to other, similarly high-end devices (such as an AV receiver and speakers), it nevertheless delivers great sound on its own, even through TV speakers.
The LX70A's design reflects its target market – it's solid and sturdy, ensuring the highest quality playback possible, with minimal vibration and high-quality components. It's still attractive enough, and the combination of neon blue lighting on the front panel's buttons and its deep black colouring should help it fit into most living room settings. The back panel contains a full range of connections, including HDMI 1.3.
In addition to its high quality Blu-ray and DVD playback, the LX70A also serves as a fully functional media streamer. The lack of wireless support is the only downside here, necessitating the use of Ethernet cables to connect the player to a PC. Apart from that however, the media streaming is highly functional and quite easy to setup and operate.
The biggest problem with the LX70A is ultimately its price. It's probably the best Blu-ray player we've seen so far, but at double the RRP of some other models, it's hard to justify. For the high-end enthusiasts this is an excellent player, and well worth the investment. For those who don't desperately need 7.1 PCM output, support for lossless surround sound, and media streaming though, an entry-level unit would probably suit better.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTEPAS Technical Support OfficerOther
- CCSolaris Migration SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork Architect - part time contract, Sydney Western SuburbsNSW
- FTPractice Director Project Management – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- TPSolution Architect - RISQLD
- CCTechnical Product ManagerQLD
- FTSolution ConsultantVIC
- FTDevOps LeadNSW
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTProject OfficerOther
- FTPython Fullstack Developer (Full Stack Environment)Other
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTRecruitment Consultant - Major AccountsOther
- FTSenior Project Manager- Cloud- AWS, Office 365- PRINCE2Other
- CCLeas Technical AnalystNSW
- CCReporting Analyst - Telco Network Projects - Contract - North SydneyNSW
- CCProcess AnalystNSW
- CCPMO AdministratorVIC
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTTech Lead - FinTech - Product DevelopmentOther
- FTSoftware Developer - Banking SolutionsOther