Pioneer BDC-S02 (pre-production model)
- Does a good job of playing back Blu-ray titles
- Slow DVD burn speeds
Provided you have the right setup, the Pioneer will make a good job of Blu-ray movie playback. But even given the significant savings over buying a Blu-ray writer, this is still an expensive proposition.
Price$ 479.00 (AUD)
It's not surprising that Blu-ray has become one of the most sought-after technologies in the IT world. With up to 50GB of space, its potential for storing huge video files (among other things) makes it a must-have for movie enthusiasts. The price of a Blu-ray drive for your PC is currently prohibitive. But there's another way.
This Pioneer pre-production model offers facilities similar to those on a standard DVD writer - with the additional bonus of Blu-ray playback. You can't record to Blu-ray media, but you can use the drive to view high-definition movies.
Of course, when we say the facilities are similar to a standard DVD writer, we mean quite an old one. With DVD-R/+R topping out at 12-speed and the double-layer alternatives stuck at a miserable quad-speed, the BDC-S02 isn't the fastest of drives.
But this is to miss the point. These speeds are enough for many users, and you get the ability to play Blu-ray. Provided, that is, you have a good PC. You'll need to check you have an HDCP-compliant screen and graphics card. Another thing you need to check before you buy is that it comes with software -- buy an OEM version of the drive and you might regret it later.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
- Steam's Summer Sale kicks off with a $15 Steam Link, game discounts galore, and digital stickers
- Hands-on: Surviving Mars captures the excitement and dread of launching a colony mission
- Dell XPS 15 (2017) review: Kaby Lake and a 4K display make a difference
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Hands-on: Middle Earth: Shadow of War gets more creative with Tolkien's universe
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Front End DevelopersOther
- FTService Desk AnalystOther
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCCloud Engineer - Multiple roles - AWS/AzureVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Analyst - Security / DevOpsOther
- FTTest AnalystSA
- FTBI Tech LeadOther
- FTSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTJava Network DeveloperOther
- CCSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- FTFixed Broadband SMEOther
- FTReporting AnalystSA
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- FTIT GraduateACT
- FTFull Stack Software DeveloperOther
- FTSoftware Tech Lead | C++ | Trading | Market ConnectivityOther
- CCSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTTRIM TrainersACT
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTJunior Java developer. Work Location - CanberraOther
- FTSystem Engineer - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTAssurance specialist(Quality Assurance and Process Improvement)ACT
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD