Pinnacle Studio Plus 10
- Simple to use
- Too many crashes
Studio Plus 10 is very easy to use, and you’d hardly wish for much more in features, especially given the low price. But it crashes far too often, even for a demanding video editing application.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The launch of a new version of Pinnacle Studio is often followed by reports of program instability and crashes that take a hefty software update to sort out, and the latest version looks to be no different.
That's too bad, because this new $199 software program adds several unique and interesting features, including compatibility with high-definition recordings and the ability to import movies from non-copy-protected DVDs.
You can use Studio Plus 10 to import footage from camcorders that record in the high-definition HDV format. I imported captured HDV footage into the program, and could manipulate it almost as easily as standard-definition DV footage. You can also import the video object (VOB) files of DVD movies, as long as they aren't copy-protected, even preserving chapters. The application has the ability to import MPEG footage from DVD-based camcorders, as well.
Studio Plus 10 adds keyframing capability to all effects, letting you apply them over time. For example, you can implement a blur gradually and then dissipate it gradually. You can also apply keyframing to multiple effects independently. And this new version has a check box that tells the application to hide most - though not all - of its extra-cost effects, transitions, and codecs. In Studio Plus 9, it was too easy to click on one of these components accidentally, which would force you to wait while a browser window opened and tried to sell you an activation key for it.
The application creates a DVD pretty quickly from standard DV footage. I created similar 20-minute projects using Adobe Premiere Elements 2 and Studio Plus 10; Studio Plus took roughly an hour and a half to finish - about half the time that Premiere Elements needed.
A nice new feature lets you slow the playback of an audio track, but maintain its pitch; this can help you match the length of the audio to a too-short video clip. But other audio features don't work as well: if you apply fades to bring the volume up and then take it back down gradually, then adjust the length of the clip, Studio will delete the fades, requiring you to redo them. Pinnacle says it may change this in an update. Who said 'cut'?
We tried Studio Plus 10 on two different PCs and had major stability problems with it on both of them. Once, the program reported it had run out of memory (on a computer with 1GB of RAM), but hey, no worries - it said it would save my project. (It didn't.) Adding insult to injury: every time Studio Plus crashes, it plants a dialogue box in the middle of your screen that stays for 30 to 45 seconds, after which you must click a button to send or not send a crash report to Pinnacle. You can't dismiss the nagging dialogue box any earlier, you can't prevent it from showing up, and you can't restart the application until this routine is thoroughly completed.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCProcurement & Contract SpecialistNSW
- TPEOI - JAVA DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- TPServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- CCDisaster Recovery SpecialistQLD
- FTProject Manager - Accountin Finance and AssetWA
- FTNetwork Solution Architect -Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - Contract till June 2018QLD
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTLooking for Lead Solution ArchitectACT