Pinnacle Studio Plus 10
- Simple to use
- Too many crashes
Studio Plus 10 is very easy to use, and you’d hardly wish for much more in features, especially given the low price. But it crashes far too often, even for a demanding video editing application.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The launch of a new version of Pinnacle Studio is often followed by reports of program instability and crashes that take a hefty software update to sort out, and the latest version looks to be no different.
That's too bad, because this new $199 software program adds several unique and interesting features, including compatibility with high-definition recordings and the ability to import movies from non-copy-protected DVDs.
You can use Studio Plus 10 to import footage from camcorders that record in the high-definition HDV format. I imported captured HDV footage into the program, and could manipulate it almost as easily as standard-definition DV footage. You can also import the video object (VOB) files of DVD movies, as long as they aren't copy-protected, even preserving chapters. The application has the ability to import MPEG footage from DVD-based camcorders, as well.
Studio Plus 10 adds keyframing capability to all effects, letting you apply them over time. For example, you can implement a blur gradually and then dissipate it gradually. You can also apply keyframing to multiple effects independently. And this new version has a check box that tells the application to hide most - though not all - of its extra-cost effects, transitions, and codecs. In Studio Plus 9, it was too easy to click on one of these components accidentally, which would force you to wait while a browser window opened and tried to sell you an activation key for it.
The application creates a DVD pretty quickly from standard DV footage. I created similar 20-minute projects using Adobe Premiere Elements 2 and Studio Plus 10; Studio Plus took roughly an hour and a half to finish - about half the time that Premiere Elements needed.
A nice new feature lets you slow the playback of an audio track, but maintain its pitch; this can help you match the length of the audio to a too-short video clip. But other audio features don't work as well: if you apply fades to bring the volume up and then take it back down gradually, then adjust the length of the clip, Studio will delete the fades, requiring you to redo them. Pinnacle says it may change this in an update. Who said 'cut'?
We tried Studio Plus 10 on two different PCs and had major stability problems with it on both of them. Once, the program reported it had run out of memory (on a computer with 1GB of RAM), but hey, no worries - it said it would save my project. (It didn't.) Adding insult to injury: every time Studio Plus crashes, it plants a dialogue box in the middle of your screen that stays for 30 to 45 seconds, after which you must click a button to send or not send a crash report to Pinnacle. You can't dismiss the nagging dialogue box any earlier, you can't prevent it from showing up, and you can't restart the application until this routine is thoroughly completed.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- CCWintel Team LeadWA
- FTBDM/Account Manager - TechnologyACT
- FTCyber Security Threat Management SpecialistOther
- CCHelpdesk Support AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- TPBusiness Analysis, Design and Configuration ManagerQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- FTOperational Support Engineer - Linux & CiscoOther
- CCNew Relic Integration ConsultantNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- TPDigital Project Manager - SalesforceNSW
- FTUnix AdministratorACT
- FTICT Business AnalystACT
- TPPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness System Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- TPSCRUM MasterVIC
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- FTCloud ArchitectNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther