Pinnacle Studio HD 14
Pinnacle Studio HD 14 is a consumer-level video editing program, designed for home videographers
- Good free online tutorials, wide range of export options, Project Bin, effects copying
- May be difficult for novices to learn, no Motion Tracking feature
Pinnacle Studio HD 14 will require that you invest some time in learning to use the program, but the result will be professional-looking movies that you can be proud to share.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Unlike Adobe Premiere Elements, Pinnacle is more rooted in traditional video editing methods used to produce professional-quality movies. Pinnacle offers deeper features for import, customisation, and export that will likely make it significantly more difficult for the novice to learn and use, but its free online tutorials are excellent at getting you jump-started.
While the partially redesigned interface is cleaner, Pinnacle Studio HD 14 still has the three tab steps found in earlier versions, which are slightly renamed to Import, Edit, and Make Movie.
The Import tab displays thumbnails of supported media files in all attached external drives and devices, such as a memory card, DVD player, Blu-ray drive, USB drive, mobile phone, or digital camera.
The Edit window has the feeling of a more professional program, thanks in large part to a new gray, neutral background. A more important change is that the old pages format has been replaced by an album structure with a scroll bar, which is much more efficient for finding your clips, photos, and other elements for your movie. For further assistance in navigation and helping to find assets, you can now set specific folders as Favorites within Pinnacle, and you also have direct access to Windows Explorer from within the program.
At the bottom of the Edit window is the Timeline, for mixing the various elements of your movie (you can also view your project in Storyboard format). Clicking on an icon lets you access Videos, Transitions, Montage themes, Titles, Photos and Frame Grabs, Sound Effects, and Menus. As with previous versions, simply select any asset among these categories, and drag-and-drop it into the Timeline. Pinnacle's tools for adjusting length, order, and relationship of the various objects are standard.
The new Project Bin, also found in the Edit window, is a place where you can add all the assets you may want to use in your project. It's a useful organisational tool, but it is hidden under a tiny icon over the Timeline and may be overlooked by many users.
Other additions include a basic, but long-overdue, tool that lets you copy effects from one clip in a movie project to another. Photo quality (of stills incorporated into your movies) is improved. In addition, a new Stabilize effect will ameliorate or eliminate camera shake, though even experienced users may need to do some experimentation to find just the right settings.
New DVD menus have been added. And the Montages feature - which gives you the ability to combine videos and photos into frame designs (such as an animated photo book or an overlay roll of videos and photos) - has new templates, greater flexibility with fonts, and other improved tools.
The wide range of export options (DVD, AVCHD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, SVCD, Flash file, AVI, Windows Media, the various MPEGs, and many others) now include partial export of a project, plus presets for MP3, PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox, as well as a new Best Quality option for YouTube uploads. You can also create and record your project at 24 frames per second for more-professional output.
Unfortunately, our favourite new Pinnacle Studio feature isn't included with Pinnacle Studio HD 14. Motion Tracking - the comparatively easy-to-use, but powerful feature for animated text effects - is available only in the more-expensive Ultimate and Ultimate Collection editions. Other features only in Ultimate and Ultimate Collection include keyframable effects, Blu-ray authoring with motion menus, and Dolby 5.1 audio, plus a few plug-ins. Ultimate Collection adds green-screen backdrops as well as some additional plug-ins.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst – Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTCyber Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTMid - Senior Web DeveloperWA
- FTNetwork Design EngineerOther
- FTTM1 DeveloperOther
- TPSQL DevloperNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - UtilitiesQLD
- FTDigital Acquisition Campaign ManagerNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCIT Security ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCTest LeadNSW
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- FTTest Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- FTSr SQL Developer/Data Migration SpecialistOther
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- FTSenior Network Consultant / Junior ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- FTSecurity ConsultantOther
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideQLD
- TPDigital Project Manager | Website ReplatformingQLD