Philips SHS850 Extra Comfort
- Innovative design, Excellent sound
- Bass could be better, Can hurt after extended use, Design not for everyone.
If you’re looking for a reasonably priced set of headphones that are unique and deliver excellent sound, the Philips Extra Comfort are highly recommended.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Lately, we've reviewed an awful lot of headphones and a lot of awful headphones, so when we saw the design for the Philips Extra Comfort portable headphones we had to get our hands on them. They are unique, with a strange and futuristic design. However, it's not the future we think of now, it's more how we thought the future would look back in the 1980s. They are black fabric wrap-around headphones with blue trim, two rubberized ear pieces and rubber ear loops. The cable extends from headband at the rear and is long enough to reach most devices, stored either in the pocket or a carry bag. The headphones also fold up easily becoming quite compact and easy to fit in your pocket.
The sound quality of the Extra Comfort's is rather good with accurate sound reproduction in most registers. The bass is a little quiet and could have been better but overall they produce comfortable sound at a reasonable volume. At high volumes, the Philips delivers very little distortion, if any. We're not going to talk about the sound stage or assault you with any jargon in this review as these are a very simple, cheap set of headphones. Stacked up against the HiFi headphones, these are no match but we have to review them in context and to that end they deliver really well.
When a product is called something like "extra comfort" the first instinct is to check how comfortable they are. To our surprise they actually lived up to their name to some degree, although extended use does get a little painful around the outer ear, but as long as you aren't wearing them for hours on end this shouldn't be too much of a problem.
One of the best features of these headphones is that they are extremely flat and sit close to the ear. If you lay down on your side they don't hurt your ear like most other earphones. This is great if you like to listen to music while lying in bed or have your head pressed against the window of a train trying desperately not to fall asleep on your way to work.
The design is both a good and bad point for this product and it all depends on your taste. While we found them to be rather attractive and loved the innovative aesthetic, we noticed many people giving us weird looks when we wore them in public. The design may not be everyone's cup of tea but for those looking for something different, these headphones are highly recommended.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
- CES 2018: Jabra Announces Third-Gen of True Wireless Earbuds
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Jabra
- Sony Offer Some Hush in the Christmas Rush For Chatswood Shoppers
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSCADA Project MaanagerOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTInformation Architect - Digital Transformation Business ChangeOther
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)WA
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectNSW
- FTPortfolio & Governance Senior AnalystVIC
- TPJunior Java DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness System AnalystQLD
- FTMaster SchedulerOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - Financial ServicesQLD
- FTNetwork AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Information Security ConsultantNSW
- FTSQL Database AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Insights AnalystNSW
- FTIT Contract Analyst/ ManagerOther
- FTMainframe DevelopersOther
- FTWLM Hanna Data ModellersACT
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- FTSalesforce Consultant - SMEVIC