- Good sound quality, isolation works well
- Bass heavy sound not suited to all listeners, a little flimsy
While not dethroning Bose as the kings of active noise cancelling headphones, Philips' SHN9500 offers a good alternative by combining both good quality audio with impressive noise cancelling.
For so long Bose's Quiet Comfort series has dominated the noise cancelling headphones category. Other companies have tried to break their hold over the market, but Bose's combination of good audio quality, comfortable design and some extremely strong marketing has meant they've remained the kings. Now it's Philips' turn to have a crack. Their SHN9500 headphones are very similar to Bose's in both design and performance and while they may not knock the champ from its podium, they do offer a solid alternative.
The audio produced by the SHN9500s is impressive. If you're after a true audiophile noise cancelling experience, we'd recommend a pair of high-end IEMs (In Ear Monitors), but for those who prefer an over-the-head design and active noise cancelling, this model will not disappoint.
Bass is the most prominent element of the sound. It is incredibly powerful and actually manages to rumble the headphone cups a little, which is something we don't often experience. The low note decays quite slowly which gives a dark sound. However, unlike many other bass heavy models, it isn't too bloated. We still wouldn't recommend the sound for styles like jazz or rock (which are better served with great treble and mid ranges), but hip hop and dance music listeners should appreciate it.
There is a reasonable amount of detail in the mid range and the treble notes come out sweet and clear. They aren't overshadowed by the lower register, which is common on bass heavy models. Overall the sound is quite energetic and slightly gritty.
The cups are constructed out of soft pleather (plastic leather) and are comfortable, even after long listening sessions. Meanwhile the headband is a little flimsy, built mostly out of plastic, although it is a still sturdier than Bose's offerings.
One of the key differences between a model like this and the high-end IEMs that we recommended earlier is that this unit has active noise cancelling technology, which means it analyses what sound is coming in from outside and compensates for it by playing opposing sounds through the headphones. This has the somewhat spooky effect of almost completely isolating you from external sounds. During our testing, it operated very well and should be perfect for blocking out annoying sounds such as bus motors, jet engines and co-workers.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Harman ANZ relaunches AKG into the consumer market with new range
- Plantronics Expands its Award-Winning BackBeat FIT Family
- Google marries AI, hardware and software with Made By Google
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - AxwayNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- CCLoad Balancer SpecialistWA
- FTMarketing Manager - IT ServicesOther
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileACT
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTRiggers / Telecommunication RiggersOther
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- FTDigital BA / Product Owner / 3 Month ContractOther
- FTSAP CRM FunctionalistOther
- TPProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTTableau Application Support SpecialistOther
- FTBDM/Account Manager - TechnologyACT
- FTPreSales / Offerings Solution Architect - BPS or BPONSW
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantVIC
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCTechnical Team Lead/Application Developer Team Lead - Government OrganisationVIC