Well-balanced mid-range IEMs
- Clear sweet highs, great detail, wide soundstage
- Bass a little uncontrolled, short cord
Philips' SHE9850 headphones are another strong entry into the mid-range IEM space. Their bass could be a little punchier and more controlled, but for the price these IEMs offer a clear, smooth and well-balanced sound.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
Designed with classical, jazz and blues listening in mind, the SHE9850 headphones are part of Philips' new line of in-ear monitors (IEMs), along with the SHE9800. Their slightly more well-rounded sound, which has an emphasis on detail and transparency, makes them well suited to the afore-mentioned musical styles. Overall, the audio quality is quite impressive; they are a good option for users looking to try something a cut above regular ear buds.
These IEMs are fairly small compared to other units on the market. The tips are tiny and slide easily into ears. Users who have never tried canal-phones before will still need to adjust to the slightly bizarre, invasive feeling, but this is the trade-off you make for clear, immersive audio.
Fortunately, size is not an indicator of quality when it comes to headphones. The SHE9850 headphones are strong performers overall. They have a wonderfully detailed sound that brings out all the nuances of music. Subtle percussion instruments, snare drums, backup vocals and individual guitar strings are all well defined and crisp, giving music a smooth transparent sound.
The bass is probably the weakest element of the music. It has a pleasing tone and is quite detailed, but lacks the power and extension of some more bass-heavy IEMs. It could also be a little more controlled, with the notes lingering a little longer than usual.
However, the highs were excellent, with a rich, sweet sound and excellent extension. The clarity and smoothness were exceptional, particularly with high-pitched acoustic guitar and piano notes, which sounded great and were never harsh or fatiguing.
The mid-range was pretty solid, too, with the same smoothness found in the treble notes. Some users might prefer a grittier and more dirty, visceral approach but for certain musical genres the style of these IEMs is more appropriate. Couple that with an excellent soundstage that creates a wide, immersive listening environment and you have an excellent platform for classical music.
Aesthetically, these headphones look pretty classy for IEMs. It’s hard for canal-phones to look too stylish, but Philips has done a pretty good job here with the black tips and gunmetal driver case contrasting nicely. We would have liked the cable to be a little longer but aside from that we have no design complaints.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony Offer Some Hush in the Christmas Rush For Chatswood Shoppers
- Harman ANZ relaunches AKG into the consumer market with new range
- Plantronics Expands its Award-Winning BackBeat FIT Family
- Google marries AI, hardware and software with Made By Google
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTSenior SQL EngineerOther
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTTechnical Specialist - SCOMOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity Business Analyst - $850 per dayOther
- TPSolution Architect - ServiceNowQLD
- FTPMO Lead / Centre of Excellence LeadOther
- FTData warehouse SpecialistOther
- FTDeployment TechnicianVIC
- FTFinance Applications SpecialistOther
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior IT Business AnalystOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTPython DevelopersOther
- FTService Provider Manager - Asset ManagementOther