IEM headphones with an impressive soundstage
- Small and comfortable, brilliant soundstage, deep bass extension
- Highs are a little boring
An attractive pair of entry-level IEMs, the Philips SHE9800 headphones won't blow away audio enthusiasts, but their sound is relatively well balanced and the wide sound stage is excellent.
Sitting at a very attractive price point, the Philips SHE9800 in-ear headphones are a fairly decent option for those looking for a low-cost pair of IEMs (in-ear monitors). Their sound is quite bass heavy but it is relatively well balanced, and the soundstage is excellent considering the size and cost of the product.
As with all other IEMs, these headphones are pretty tiny. Unlike some competing units, they aren't designed to hook over the ear, but rather they just rest in the ear canal. The small, minimalist design ensures they stay put nicely. We found them comfortable for long listening sessions and easy to insert. The default tip size fitted perfectly, but several sizes are contained in the package.
They don't isolate nearly as well as more expensive IEMs, largely because they don't achieve a proper seal with the ear canal. This makes for a more comfortable fit but means external sound isn't blocked out as well. The SHE9800s did a good job in fairly quiet environments, but loud ambient noise did begin to creep through in during softer passages of music.
Overall the sound was pretty good considering the price. The mid-range wasn't particularly rich but it was detailed and quite smooth. Everything flowed together nicely and gelled well, while at the same time sounding visceral. Guitar strings had a slightly metallic tone.
Bass was notably deep and quite powerful. It did sound somewhat hollow at times, but it wasn't bloated or distorted at all. We found this contributed to a relatively fun, fast-paced sound that should suit speedy music nicely.
Treble notes, on the other hand, were unremarkable. There wasn't much wrong with them, but they were a little dull and somewhat rolled off. We found piano and high-pitched acoustic tunes sounded fine but not as engrossing as we'd have liked.
The really impressive thing about the sound from the SHE9800 headphones was the soundstage. With specifically designed and angled microdrivers, these headphones are designed to provide an incredibly wide, deep presentation and they certainly live up to the hype. Small headphones often struggle to produce an engrossing soundstage, but the SHE9800 headphones have no such issues and are one of the most immersive pairs we've listened to. They definitely outdo anything else at this price point.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
- CES 2018: Jabra Announces Third-Gen of True Wireless Earbuds
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Jabra
- Sony Offer Some Hush in the Christmas Rush For Chatswood Shoppers
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTCloud Systems EngineerOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCGenesys ConsultantACT
- FTTechnical Project OfficerOther
- FTSenior Graphic DesignerACT
- CCSecurity Business AnalystVIC
- CCApplication DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Digital DeveloperVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- TPChange ManagerACT
- FTSecurity Consultant/Snr Security ConsultantVIC
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior System AdministratorOther
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTJava Developer - iSeriesOther
- FTAPI DeveloperOther
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- FTSenior DevOps EngineerOther