- Relatively compact, good remote control, car holder
- Below average sound and picture quality
The PET710 suffers from a lack of image and sound quality, although the car seat holder and the car charger adapter are handy for car travel.
Price$ 449.95 (AUD)
The Philips PET710 is a compact portable DVD player that should appeal to people who travel frequently, but when it comes to the crunch, it's let down by average image and sound quality.
Measuring 161 x 193 x 30mm, the PET710 features a 7" TFT screen with a resolution of 480 x 234, and like most of the current portable DVD range, it has a clamshell design.
Flip open the unit and on the top side is the screen, which, strangely, is not positioned in the centre of the device. We can't help but feel the screen could have been much larger and wider, with all the space around and below it. On the bottom side is the DVD drive and to the right are the navigational controls, which are easy to use.
On the left side of the unit is the power button and over on the right side is support for DC in, digital audio output via coaxial cable, RCA video out and audio out, two headphone jacks (so two people can share the device) and the volume control.
The unit plays back DVD, DVD-RW, DVD+R, Picture CD, SVCD and Video CD. It also doubles as a music player, with support for CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3-CD, but our testing showed the sound quality was poor and the volume through the integrated speaker was too low.
Video playback quality was average with the image not as crisp and bright as expected and the contrast was low, even when adjusted. Overall the picture quality was quite dark and at times blurry, although the unit remained stable when it was moved from one location to another while playing a DVD.
The PET710 ships with a very good remote control and all features (except opening and closing the DVD compartment) are accessible via the remote. The buttons are quite rounded and easy to press.
The PET710 can be powered by an AC/DC adapter or by a DV 9V lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack. Battery life is about 2.5 hours, long enough to watch most movies. A 12V car adapter is also included in the package, so you shouldn't have to worry about battery life on the road.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTO365 ConsultantOther
- CCTechnical Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTIT Project Coordinator | Gold CoastQLD
- FTPlatform Architect - InfrastructureOther
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- CCAutomation Test ManagerVIC
- FTData SpecialistACT
- FTMicrofocus Cobol DeveloperOther
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst- Windows 10 SOE rollout projectOther
- FTBlockchain DeveloperOther
- FTRelocate to Perth for Software Engineering RolesSA
- CCProblem manager - OSS, Service Assurance appsVIC
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer C++NSW
- FTSenior Security ConsultantACT
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Agile - ERPOther
- CCExstream DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst x2 (Digital Transformation)NSW
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- CCNetwork DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther