- Relatively compact, good remote control, car holder
- Below average sound and picture quality
The PET710 suffers from a lack of image and sound quality, although the car seat holder and the car charger adapter are handy for car travel.
Price$ 449.95 (AUD)
The Philips PET710 is a compact portable DVD player that should appeal to people who travel frequently, but when it comes to the crunch, it's let down by average image and sound quality.
Measuring 161 x 193 x 30mm, the PET710 features a 7" TFT screen with a resolution of 480 x 234, and like most of the current portable DVD range, it has a clamshell design.
Flip open the unit and on the top side is the screen, which, strangely, is not positioned in the centre of the device. We can't help but feel the screen could have been much larger and wider, with all the space around and below it. On the bottom side is the DVD drive and to the right are the navigational controls, which are easy to use.
On the left side of the unit is the power button and over on the right side is support for DC in, digital audio output via coaxial cable, RCA video out and audio out, two headphone jacks (so two people can share the device) and the volume control.
The unit plays back DVD, DVD-RW, DVD+R, Picture CD, SVCD and Video CD. It also doubles as a music player, with support for CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3-CD, but our testing showed the sound quality was poor and the volume through the integrated speaker was too low.
Video playback quality was average with the image not as crisp and bright as expected and the contrast was low, even when adjusted. Overall the picture quality was quite dark and at times blurry, although the unit remained stable when it was moved from one location to another while playing a DVD.
The PET710 ships with a very good remote control and all features (except opening and closing the DVD compartment) are accessible via the remote. The buttons are quite rounded and easy to press.
The PET710 can be powered by an AC/DC adapter or by a DV 9V lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack. Battery life is about 2.5 hours, long enough to watch most movies. A 12V car adapter is also included in the package, so you shouldn't have to worry about battery life on the road.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAndroid Developer - Mobile Payment SolutionOther
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCSolutions ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - BI & ReportingNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperACT
- CCSecurity AdministratorQLD
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Multiple RolesACT
- CCSenior Workbrain Functional Expert - Brisbane BasedNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / DesignerNSW
- CCInstructional DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTTeam LeaderVIC
- CCLead Service DesignerACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSCCM Systems AdministratorOther
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- TPIT Security EngineerQLD