- Very good sound, easy to use, well-priced
- Can't play DivX or Xvid files
This combination Hi-Fi and DVD player micro system is well-designed and performs all of its intended functions very well. If you want a neat Hi-Fi and DVD solution for a small room, this one is definitely worth your consideration.
Price$ 299.95 (AUD)
The latest offering from Philips is the MCD139/79 DVD Micro Theatre. It's a micro-sized 2.1-channel DVD and Hi-Fi system that has an attractive feature-set and a pint-sized price tag of $299. It will play movies without a fuss and it will also let you to listen to your favourite songs in a variety of formats: audio CD, WMA CD and MP3 CD.
Connecting the MCD139/79 was a breeze. It was simply a matter of attaching the right speaker and the sub-woofer to the left speaker. The right speaker and the sub-woofer are attached to the left speaker as the left speaker actually houses the amplifier. The main unit, which houses the DVD player, can then be attached to the left speaker using a DIN connection. Stereo audio output and coaxial digital audio output ports are also present on the main unit, and this means that you can also plug the main unit into another amplifier of your choice. Plugging your television into the main unit can be done via component, S-Video or composite cables.
The MCD139/79's DVD player proved to be flawless. It played our commercially produced DVDs, burnt DVD+R discs, Video CDs and Picture CDs without any problems. The video quality of DVDs via the component output was vivid and sharp. Through the composite connection, video was less vibrant, which is what we expected. As for sound, the relatively small speakers produced a clean and wide stereo image. They delivered clear Dolby Digital output (via 2.1 channels) at low, high and mid-range frequencies. High frequencies were crisp and clean, mid-range was warm and subtle, and the passive sub-woofer delivered a very solid bottom end. Playing MP3 and WMA audio files was a straight-forward affair, with the MCD139/79 accepting a number of different CD-R discs packed with numerous files of various bit rates. The menu system appeared promptly on the screen and was easy to use via the supplied 38-button remote control.
As for features, the MCD139/79 comes complete with a progressive scan DVD player and all the trimmings expected of a Hi-Fi system: a digital FM tuner with 20 station presets, a programmable CD player with shuffle and random modes, a sleep timer, a clock, an equaliser with built-in presets, and a CD\radio alarm function. Disc formats such as DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, picture CD, video CD, CD, SVCD, CD, CD-R and CD-RW are all playable. DVD functions include slow motion, zoom and resume playback from stop.
Physically, the main unit has an elegant grey and mirrored finish. It's slightly 'chubbier' than a standard slim-line DVD player--it's small in width, but it's higher than most slim-line DVD players--and discs are loaded from the top as the unit does not have a front-loading tray. The speakers (including the passive sub-woofer) all measure 25cm in height. All three speakers are housed in faux cherry-wood enclosures that add a retro touch to an otherwise modern looking system. Philips supplies a composite video cable, an FM antenna and remote control in the box. All in all, the MCD139/79 has a sleek and classy design and it performs its intended functions very well. The only real disappointment is that it doesn't have the ability to play DivX and Xvid formats. That's forgivable considering its small price tag.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- TP.Net ArchitectQLD
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTUI Developer / Front-End DevloperQLD
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCService Designer - GovernmentNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- TPPHP DeveloperWA
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTWindows Rollout / Desktop Support AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- CCProject MangerNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - Java/OSB/BPELVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideSA
- FTMulesoft Integration DeveloperOther
- FTSenior JAVA Developer - (Adobe Experience Manager)Other
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCTRIM Support OfficerQLD
- FTApplications Network SpecialistOther