Wake to your iPod tunes.
- Design, build quality, auxiliary input, LCD screen, ease of use
- Limited remote control, below-average sound, lack of bass and treble controls
Despite the issues with sound quality there is a little to complain about at this price. The AJ301D is a capable hybrid alarm clock and iPod dock.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
A successor to the AJ300D, Philips' latest alarm clock cum iPod dock largely retains a similar design. Although there aren’t too many new features, it remains a reasonable bedside companion.
The AJ301D looks quite like a kitchen appliance, largely thanks to the gloss white and silver colour scheme. Its build quality feels solid, though, and the unit will sit nicely on most bedside tables. It’s a little larger than a regular alarm clock, so be warned if you are trying to skimp on space.
With the extra size comes a large LCD screen. You can conveniently dim or turn off the backlight when the unit is in standby mode by pressing the snooze button. Buttons for power and time set, as well as an audio selector switch, are located on the left side. The right side has five preset buttons for the FM radio. A large snooze button sits on top, in between two alarm buttons. Conveniently, the time and date will remain set for up to 10 minutes in the event of a blackout — up from its predecessor's five minutes.
The AJ301D supports any iPods with a dock connector thanks to the use of dock inserts. There is no insert included for the iPhone 3G, but it is still compatible and worked fine during testing. Philips also includes a rear-mounted auxiliary input and standard audio cable in the sales package. This means you can use the AJ301D with any device that has a standard 3.5mm audio jack (though you won't be able to use this in tandem with the alarm feature).
Being a clock radio, the AD301D also has an FM radio feature with five presets, but there is no AM radio. There are two alarms on the unit, and you can choose to be woken with music from your iPod, the radio or a standard alarm buzzer. Changing this method is as easy as flicking the switch located on the left side of the unit.
Sound quality is passable for a unit this size, though obviously far from outstanding. At lower volume levels the AJ301D performs well enough, but it suffers from notable distortion at higher volume levels. Philips says it uses wOOx bass technology — a small subwoofer is built into the rear of the unit. It doesn’t do that great a job, however, with the overall sound feeling tinny and harsh; instrumental separation is mediocre. A particular annoyance is the lack of basic bass and treble controls, meaning you’ll need to rely on your iPod’s equaliser.
Unfortunately, navigation with the included remote is limited. You can adjust volume, skip tracks and pause/play tracks but you can't browse through playlists or adjust any iPod settings without using the iPod itself.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTDigital Marketing Business AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTPortfolio & Governance Senior AnalystVIC
- FTLead Change ManagerOther
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- TPIT OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSystems SpecialistSA
- FTSenior PM - Skype for BusinessOther
- FTData Architect / Business Intelligence ArchitectOther
- FTInfrastructure Designer - Citrix/AWSOther
- CCHP Service Management Engineer/adminVIC
- CCBusiness Integration ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTUI/UX DesignerOther
- FTSAP SD ConsultantNSW
- FTField ConsultantOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- FTPublishing Specialist / Business Specialist - TelecommunicationOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager | ApplicationsQLD
- CCUnix System AdministratorNSW