- Alarm clock with dual alarms, decent sound at moderate volume levels, wOOx subwoofer, stylish design, auxiliary input
- Distortion at higher volume levels, navigation with remote is limited
The AJ300D is a very solid choice at this price, provided you keep volume at a reasonable level.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
The Philips AJ300D is a convenient alarm clock and iPod speaker dock that offers reasonable sound quality for a competitive price. Offering a large LCD display, wOOx bass technology, and a sleek and stylish design, the AJ300D is an excellent bedside companion.
Sound quality is obviously the most important feature, and although the AJ300D suffers from distortion at higher volume levels, we were left feeling satisfied with the overall quality produced. At reasonable volume levels the system produces punchy and crisp sound, particularly excelling with bass response. Philips has included what they call wOOx bass technology on the rear of the unit, and this is basically a small subwoofer that provides deep and powerful bass despite the system's relatively small size. Unfortunately, sound quality at high volume levels is poor, and the AJ300D suffers from notable distortion.
The AJ300D supports the majority of iPods with a dock connector or any Philips GoGear player thanks to the use of dock inserts. Unfortunately there is no connector included for the iPod nano (2nd Generation), but all other iPods are supported. Conveniently, Philips also includes a rear mounted auxiliary input and standard cable in the sales package, which means you can use the AJ300D with any portable music player - although you won't be able to use this in tandem with the alarm feature.
Being a clock radio, the AD300D also has an FM radio feature with five presets, but you're out of luck if you want to listen to the football as there is no support for AM radio. There are two alarms on the unit, and you can choose to be woken with music from your iPod or GoGear player, the radio, or a standard alarm buzzer. Changing this method is as easy as flicking the switch located on the left hand side of the unit to dock, buzzer, or tuner.
The AJ300D immediately starts playing your iPod as soon as it's docked. If it's recently been played, it will resume the current track. If not, then the first song will start playing. Navigation with the included remote is a little limited; you can adjust volume skip tracks and pause/play tracks but you can't browse through playlists or adjust any iPod settings without using the actual iPod itself.
The design is attractive and measuring 191mm x 164mm x 161mm, the AJ300D is a fairly compact unit. Finished in an all-white and grey design that matches any white iPod, the front of the unit also features a large, bright LCD display. You can conveniently dim or turn off the backlight when the unit is in standby mode by pressing the snooze button. Buttons for power and time set, as well as an audio selector switch are located on the left side, while the right side has five preset buttons for the FM radio. A large snooze button sits on top, in between two alarm buttons. Conveniently, the time and date will remain on the unit for up to five minutes in the event of a blackout.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- FTMS Dynamics CRM DevelopersACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSAP CRM FunctionalistOther
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- FTApplication Support Technical LeadQLD
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Commercial LeadOther
- FTDatabase Systems SpecialistOther
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCSenior Data Centre Capacity / Facilities Engineer - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCCRM Technical ConsultantWA
- FTAgile CoachOther
- TPBusiness Analyst | AO6 | Government ContractQLD
- TPPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC