Email 'n Walk iPhone app
Write e-mails on your iPhone while seeing where you are walking
- Commendable execution, easy to use
- iPhone camera has limitations, no Enter button on keyboard, cannot read e-mails or send SMS messages
Email 'n Walk lets you write e-mails while seeing where you are going by employing the iPhone's camera. We wouldn't recommend its use while driving, though.
Price$ 1.19 (AUD)
Phase2 Media's Email 'n Walk uses the iPhone's camera to let you to see where you're walking while writing e-mails, hopefully stopping you from falling over any obstacles in your path.
Email 'n Walk might seem like a preposterous idea. But given that an English charity last year attempted to wrap lampposts in foam to protect pedestrians from collisions while writing SMS messages, perhaps this iPhone app isn't such a bad idea.
The app is generally well designed. It overlays a customised e-mail interface on top of a live view from the camera. The soft keyboard is the usual opaque input box, but the e-mail interface itself is transparent. This lets you to see through the text to what the camera picks up.
If you tend to hold your iPhone parallel to the ground, then you're likely to see little more than your own feet while typing. However, even holding the iPhone at a slight angle can ensure a good view of what is directly in front of you.
The quality of the iPhone's camera affects the app. The lens speed is a little slow, resulting in some motion blur. It isn't too excessive and won't make you sick, however. Things are likely to look significantly darker on the screen than in real life.
Email 'n Walk provides a text box for the subject and one of the body. The Enter button on the standard soft keyboard has been replaced by a Send button, which means e-mails written using Email 'n Walk cannot be broken into paragraphs until the e-mail is sent to the proper Mail app.
Once you have written up the e-mail, pressing send transfers the text into the standard iPhone mail app. This means you will have to choose the e-mail's recipient without the benefit of seeing where you are going.
Email 'n Walk is a commendable app, but it could be better. The ability to send SMS messages and read others' e-mails in the same fashion would definitely be worthwhile additions.
Nevertheless, as it stands Email 'n Walk is a decent iPhone app that provides innovative functionality for a reasonable price.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Five 2017 flagship smartphones that are now less than $900
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTERP Technical Analyst - PeoplesoftOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCMicrosoft Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTHealthcare TesterVIC
- FTSAP CRM ABAP-BRF+ DevelopersOther
- TPService Assurance ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager/Business Analyst (Hybrid role) - Adelaide BasedSA
- FTLead ETL DeveloperOther
- CCLinux Administrator - TelcoVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- CCPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- FTRelease ManagerVIC
- FTIntegration ArchitectOther
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Digital And TransformationOther
- FTIT SpecialistSA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPProject Officer - ICTQLD
- CCDelivery Manager - Cloud Solution ProjectNSW
- FTEnterprise Application AdministratorQLD