Pentax Optio S5z
- Great images, compact, looks stylish
- Lacking some manual controls, a little flimsy
A big improvement on the S55, the S5z has exceptional image quality, a slim design and a reasonable price tag.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Pentax's Optio S5z is essentially an upgraded version of the S55, which we have also reviewed on the site. For around $100 more you get a host of improved features that are definitely worth the extra money.
The S5z is small, about the size of a deck of cards, with a sleek, metal exterior and a much more minimalist design than the S55. It would please those who like their camera to double as a stylish accessory. It does feel a little more flimsy than some other models of similar design, but it is a big improvement on the previous model nonetheless.
It sports a 2.5" screen which is clear and free of angle-viewing problems. The compact design combined with a large screen results in buttons that are quite cramped. Some users will have a little trouble navigating features without bumping the wrong button by accident.
The controls in the S5z include basic white balance and ISO controls, as well as contrast, saturation and sharpness--but there is not full manual control for things like shutter speed and aperture. There are a bunch of preset shooting modes as well.
This model's picture quality really stands out. The S5z produces some very nice shots for a five megapixel model. Images were incredibly detailed, the colour rich and the edges sharp. They looked wonderful. There was perhaps a small amount of blurring at the edges, but it really didn't detract much from the picture.
The five or six-second flash recharge delay that irritated us with the S55 is also all but gone. The S5z suffers no such problem, and downtime between shots is barely noticeable.
The S5z runs off a rechargeable lithium ion battery, instead of AAs.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTPractice Director Quality AssuranceSA
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTRisk Specialist - 6 month contractOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCTest Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTQuality Assurance ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst, Business Efficiencies ProgramOther
- FTInfrastructure Architect (EUC)Other
- FTBlockchain DeveloperOther
- FTAsset and Configuration ManagerSA
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)VIC
- FTAutomation Tester - 12 month contract - Big 4 BankOther
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Mobile AutomationOther
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- TPProject Manager - Records ManagementVIC
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement Specialist - MELBOURNEQLD
- FTSenior Change Analyst, Governance & AssuranceOther
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTWindows Server EngineerOther