Pentax Optio S5z
- Great images, compact, looks stylish
- Lacking some manual controls, a little flimsy
A big improvement on the S55, the S5z has exceptional image quality, a slim design and a reasonable price tag.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Pentax's Optio S5z is essentially an upgraded version of the S55, which we have also reviewed on the site. For around $100 more you get a host of improved features that are definitely worth the extra money.
The S5z is small, about the size of a deck of cards, with a sleek, metal exterior and a much more minimalist design than the S55. It would please those who like their camera to double as a stylish accessory. It does feel a little more flimsy than some other models of similar design, but it is a big improvement on the previous model nonetheless.
It sports a 2.5" screen which is clear and free of angle-viewing problems. The compact design combined with a large screen results in buttons that are quite cramped. Some users will have a little trouble navigating features without bumping the wrong button by accident.
The controls in the S5z include basic white balance and ISO controls, as well as contrast, saturation and sharpness--but there is not full manual control for things like shutter speed and aperture. There are a bunch of preset shooting modes as well.
This model's picture quality really stands out. The S5z produces some very nice shots for a five megapixel model. Images were incredibly detailed, the colour rich and the edges sharp. They looked wonderful. There was perhaps a small amount of blurring at the edges, but it really didn't detract much from the picture.
The five or six-second flash recharge delay that irritated us with the S55 is also all but gone. The S5z suffers no such problem, and downtime between shots is barely noticeable.
The S5z runs off a rechargeable lithium ion battery, instead of AAs.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW
- TPIntegration Developer. Cloud SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTService Provider Manager - Asset ManagementOther
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- FTDesktop Technical LeadOther
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2 (Infrastructure)NSW
- FTUnix/Linux EngineersOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTIT Service DeskSA
- FTOperations Process Improvement ManagerOther
- FTDevops Engineer X 2 positionsOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTLead Solutions Architect- SAP SuccessFactorsOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTDesktop / SCCM EngineerOther
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCProgram ManagerNSW