Pentax *ist DS
- Compact, fast startup times
- Image quality is slightly lower than competitors
The *ist DS is certainly a great camera, combining 6.1 megapixel resolution, decent build quality and great controls for beginners.
Price$ 1,349.00 (AUD)
Pentax's oddly named *ist DS has a 6.1 megapixel CCD sensor that delivers images with 3008 x 2008 pixel resolution and sufficient detail to make good-looking A3 colour inkjet prints. Like most other digital SLRs, the CCD sensor is physically larger than those in consumer digital cameras, allowing lower noise levels even at high sensitivities.
Also like most digital SLRs, the *ist DS's sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film. As a consequence, all lenses have their focal length effectively multiplied 1.5 times. So, for example, the Sigma 18 to 125mm lens optionally sold with the *ist DS has an effective range of roughly 27 to 190mm.
The *ist DS's K-mount can use any Pentax lens, directly handling K, KA, KAF and KAF2 models and even screwmount or medium-format optics with an adapter, which is great news for anyone who already has Pentax gear, or for those who like browsing the second-hand market.
To save space, Pentax has only equipped the *ist DS with a slot for Secure Digital (SD) memory cards. A while back, the prospect of a digital SLR that couldn't use CompactFlash cards was unthinkable, but these days SD cards offer decent capacities at affordable prices. Images can be stored with three different levels of JPEG compression or in RAW mode. Best-quality JPEGs measure around 2.7MB each.
Next to many of its rivals, the *ist DS looks truly compact. It's comfortable to hold, well built and good looking. There's also a 2" LCD on the back and decent-sized LCD status screen on the top.
The main control dial allows photographers to select the traditional program, manual, shutter and aperture priority modes. Users can also choose from one of seven scene presets or allow the Auto Pict mode to do it for them. Sensitivity runs from 200 to 3200 ISO, and the burst mode can capture up to eight JPEGs at 2.8fps.
Power comes from four AAs or a pair of CR-V3 lithium packs, and Pentax supplies a mains adapter and a disposable pair of lithium CR-V3s.
The *ist DS was quick to start and take its first shot. In our tests, it resolved slightly less detail than some of its key competitors, while noise levels were fractionally higher.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- FTSenior Change ManagerOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTFinancial Analyst- Construction backgroundOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTHealthcare Pre-Sales Consultant - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- TPLead Solutions Architect - SAP SuccessFactorsQLD
- FTCyber Security Program ManagerNSW
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- TPProject Manager - MortgagesNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Biz Talk DeveloperACT
- CCSAP Subject Matter ExpertQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCRPA DeveloperVIC