Pentax *ist DL
- Great transition camera, nice images, robust functionality
- Battery life is a bit of a problem, some minor layout irritations
A great budget SLR.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
When the Pentax *ist DL came into the office, the first problem we encountered was exactly how we were going to talk about it. How does one pronounce *ist DL? Browsing the Internet revealed everything from "star-ist-dee-ell" to "eye-ess-tee". We here at the Good Gear Guide preferred the simple route and referred to it as the Pentax Star. Whatever you want to call it, one thing was clear: we liked this camera a lot.
The *ist sports a 6 megapixel sensor and a full set of manual functions, including white balance, focus, aperture, shutter speed, saturation, contrast, colour balance and a selection of ISO sensitivities ranging from 200 to 3200. The functions are quite comprehensive, but small corners have clearly been cut, such as the 1/8000 shutter speed present on higher-end models.
There are also a few preset shooting modes, such as portrait, landscape, night mode and action shots, as well as a fully automatic shooting mode. The *ist provides an easy learning curve for more complicated functions by still allowing you to automate what you feel comfortable with.
Picture quality was a mixed bag. The sharpness and clarity were incredible when compared with non-SLR 6 megapixel models. Colour quality was somewhat lacking, however, with green and yellow tones being a little oversaturated. The manual ISO controls also seemed a little sensitive, creating images that were washed out and dull. Nonetheless, for a budget SLR, we were very satisfied with the picture quality.
The design itself is quite good. The camera is not too big (as SLRs go) and the lens is easily attached and removed for easy storage. It sits very comfortably in the hand with a standard SLR grip. The body feels flimsy in parts, with a large portion being constructed from plastic, but overall it is sturdy enough.
We did find the button layout a little irritating, however, particularly the function wheel. It is on the top, at the left-hand side of the camera, and you have to switch grips in order to use it properly. We also found the battery slot difficult to close.
The rest of the controls are well laid out. The very pretty 215,000 pixel, 2.5" LCD is ringed by the menu, information and directional pad buttons. There is a second screen on the top, which gives basic information regarding the aperture, shutter speed, battery life and flash settings. The two key manual settings (aperture and shutter speed) can be controlled by a single wheel below the second screen, which makes changing things on the fly a breeze.
The Pentax supports either lithium ion or AA batteries. We tested it with alkaline AAs, and we chewed through a set of four AAs in about 250 shots with the battery saving mode on.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- FTHead of Engineering - FrontendNSW
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCAPI Developer - ApigeeVIC
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTHadoop DeveloperVIC
- TPPHP DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTAPI Integration Technical Lead -$1150 per dayOther
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - Supply ChainOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther