PC Tools Spyware Doctor 5.5 with AV
- Intelliscan for quick scans, optional full scan and rootkit scan for deeper scanning, OnGuard real-time protection, very good detection and cleaning, kernel compatibility mode
- We experienced blue screens when trying to run malware detective, slower scans than we would have liked.
While it's not as fast as we'd like, Spyware Doctor 5.5 does a good job of cleaning up infections and uses an intuitive interface to take control of your system's security. The small sum of $10 for added anti-virus protection is an extra bonus.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
PC Tool's latest release, Spyware Doctor 5.5 with AV, is a simple to use and thorough tool with a good set of cleaning and live protection features to help maintain the health of your system. The standard application is aimed at spyware and malware, but the addition of antivirus protection costs a mere $10 more.
Its predecessor, Spyware Doctor 5.0, was a complete re-build of the application, so it's unsurprising that this version's façade has seen little change. However, some significant work has been done out back, speeding up scan times with Intelliscan and reducing the overall footprint of the application. As well as this, Spyware Doctor 5.5 has changed its reporting to more correctly reflect the level of threat perceived by detected infections. In the previous version even the most non-threatening of cookies would trigger a red flag. Now users are able to clearly see which threats are benign and which are just that, threats.
Spyware Doctor 5.5 offers protection in a number of ways. The most obvious is via scanning, which can be done using a full system scan or a faster Intelliscan. Intelliscan is designed to search out actively running spyware and eliminate it, while a full system scan takes longer and searches deeper. Activating the rootkit scan is optional as it will take longer to search for hidden processes and check behavioural patterns. The antivirus protection, should you have purchased it, is seamlessly integrated into the spyware scan and can be disabled at will.
The second main source of protection comes from Spyware Doctor 5.5's OnGuard feature. This is a real time protection feature that checks for browser changes, cookies, e-mail protection, keylogger software, ActiveX protection, and has a site guard, among other things.
There are a couple of neat extra features such as secure community, a feedback system that helps PC Tools detect and clean new threats by processing data from automated user feedback. This setting is, of course, optional. Another feature is the malware detective, which can be used if your system exhibits symptoms, but is not detecting anything. Malware detective sends specific information to PC Tools for examination in the hope of discovering hidden malware. Unfortunately on one of our test machines attempting to run the malware detective, using Windows Vista Business, caused instant blue screens time and time again. Spyware Doctor 5.5 also claims to be compatible with other spyware and antivirus programs by running in kernel compatibility mode, an excellent feature if you're an avid fan of one particular antivirus or spyware application that you'd like to use it simultaneously.
The software is reasonably intuitive to navigate with scans and OnGuard controls in separate tabs. The only confusing element is the segregation of settings. OnGuard settings can be found in the OnGuard tab, while all other settings are under a separate tab. Detection and cleaning has always been a strong point of Spyware Doctor, but speed has not, though version 5.5 has improved. Our Intelliscan took less than a fifth of the time of a full scan and both scans cleaned 100 per cent of detected infections without issue. Scan times will vary on the infection status, but we were happy with the increased speed over previous versions.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Project Manager - Enterprise Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCSystems EngineerWA
- FTERP Support SpecialistVIC
- TPJunior Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- CCBack-End Developers - PHP - Federal GovernmentVIC
- CCIncident/Service ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer C++ - Financial Services - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSAP ABAP DeveloperOther
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTApplications Specialist LeadOther
- CCSenior Scrum MasterVIC
- TPProject Manager - Call Centre ExpansionVIC
- FTTest Manager - InfrastructureOther
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst - Security / IDAMOther
- FTSenior Full Stack Developer | APIOther
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- FTSolution Designer - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCProject Administrator - Marketing & DigitalVIC
- FTTrainer- Information/ Cyber SecurityOther