PC Tools Spyware Doctor 3.1
Spyware Doctor equals the competition and then offers some compelling extra features. It's compatible with Windows 95 through to XP.
Price$ 41.43 (AUD)
Many Internet users understand just how annoying and increasingly prolific spyware can be. Even if you use the Firefox browser and antivirus software, programs such as Ad-aware SE Personal Edition, Spybot Search & Destroy or even Microsoft's new AntiSpyware Beta are still required to maintain a clean system. So if such software does a respectable job, at no cost, the question is: does Spyware Doctor offer enough to justify its small fee?
Spyware Doctor (SD) is an adware and spyware removal tool more akin to a Swiss Army Knife. Yes it weeds out the likes of tracking cookies, browser hijackers, toolbar installers, key loggers and trojans as you'd expect, but it also features real-time "OnGuard" protection. This incorporates a pop-up blocker, cookie and browser monitor, ActiveX Immunizer, Site Guard (a list of known fake commerce sites) and a scheduler (great for automatic scans and live definition updates).
Tests on several PCs consistently had SD returning more results than Spybot - with quicker scan times. You receive some of the best descriptions we've seen: what is found, who it's from and what it likely does to your system (ideal in deciding whether or not to delete an apparently malicious object). Navigating your way around SD couldn't be more straightforward and everything always worked as expected - although we did notice a small window size/location bug on one particular test PC with dual displays.
If you're serious about protection then yes, Spyware Doctor's speed, ease of use and extra-features are worth the nominal outlay - although we'll still be keeping the free version of Ad-aware just to keep SD on its toes.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Family Zone ready new cyber safety tool for parents
- Parallels Desktop 13 Launches
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Goodbye Google Now, hello new feed that obsessively track your interests
- How to deal with “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC” error
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- Review: Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSales Support OfficerNSW
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Business AnalystACT
- CCTechnical Architect - Oracle Identity and Access Management - CANBERRA BASEDNSW
- FTAccount Manager (Healthcare & Aged Care)Other
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTDigital Account Director - Search & SocialNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HCMQLD
- TPStorage & VMware AdministratorQLD
- CCRelease and Deployment ManagerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Security ConsultantWA
- CCFunctional Consultant (SAP IS-U)Other
- FTFront-end Development LeadOther
- FTUX DesignerOther
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCDigital Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTSecurity Architect | 6mth ContractOther
- CCDigital Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTFront end DeveloperNSW
- FTInformation Security SpecialistSA
- FTFilenet Technical ConsultantOther