PC Tools Internet Security 2011
PC Tools Internet Security 2011: Great at blocking malware
- Great at blocking malware
- Slow scan speeds
While PCTools Internet Security does a great job at blocking malware, it’s hobbled by slow scan speeds.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Does slow and steady win the race?
PC Tools' answer to this question is a definite yes: Get it clean, no matter how long it takes.
Sure enough, PC Tools Internet Security 2011's scanning performance is quite good, with 24 out of 25 real-world attacks blocked (tied for tops in this test), and an above-average 97.7 percent of zoo malware detected. In our tests, there were virtually no false positives to be found, and, best of all, PC Tools had the best rating of all 13 applications we reviewed at fixing infected systems, removing active malware components 80 percent of the time—tied for the best score—and removing all traces on infections 70 percent of the time—the best overall performer in this test.
The downside is that PC Tools generally takes its time with all of this. Its on-demand scan speed (which measures how quickly a product can scan files when you manually start a scan) was 12th out of 13, and PC Tools had the biggest overall impact on our PCs' performance out of the products we tested, slowing your system down considerably.
Perplexingly, that's not the end of the story: Unlike on-demand scanning, on-access scanning with PC Tools Internet Security is really quite spry. In fact, it was the fastest at these automatic file-by-file scans among all the apps we tested, a stark contrast to its other speed metrics.
In practice, the slowness of PC Tools' on-demand scanning was definitively noticeable. Running a full system scan took more than an hour—not including when my test system crashed in the middle of a scrubbing—and PC Tools is fond of numerous update operations and mandated restarts. We were also not thrilled with the lack of information PC Tools provides during its scans. In our hands-on tests the progress bar would very quickly jump to "90%"... then it'd stay there until the scan was nearly complete.
Getting around PC Tools Internet Security is a simple affair. Four big status buttons tell you if you're safe from malware and spam and whether your firewall is engaged, and settings are easy to access, offering an appropriate, moderate number of configuration options.
On the other hand, some of PC Tools' decisions are curious. We're not at all sure why a security tool would need an integrated registry editor, and dropping the log file viewer into the settings menu is a strange place for it.
Given PC Tools' bargain-bin pricing—at $79 for a one-year, three-PC license (as of 12/2/2010), it's nearly the cheapest application we tested—as well as its solid security performance, it's tempting to give this suite heavy consideration. And to that, we say go for it—provided you don't actually want to use your computer for anything else while scanning it for malware.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior React DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTDemand Release ManagerNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- CCChange LeadQLD
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTHCM Project Manager & Service Implementation Manager - SAP HRNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence / Datawarehouse DeveloperSA
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Analyst - Rostering ProjectNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst (Data Analytics & Systems) - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCSSIS / SSRS DeveloperNSW
- CCMaster SchedulerACT
- CCChange & Communications AnalystQLD