PC Tools Internet Security offers a decidedly mixed bag of protections.
- Scored highly on behaviour-based detection of malware
- Mixed test results
On behaviour-based detection of malware, PC Tools Internet Security scored the highest of any suite we've tested. It also produced strong numbers for detecting and removing rootkits. But despite strong heuristics, PC Tools Internet Security compares unfavourably with other suites we've tested, based on its mixed test results. This is PC Tools' first attempt at a security suite; and, like Comodo, it too could have a strong offering in the near future if it bolsters its traditional malware detection and offers more configuration options.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Symantec acquired the security vendor in 2008 to increase its worldwide market share with consumers in new and emerging regional markets. Since the acquisition, PC Tools maintains a separate development operation from Symantec's consumer business unit (responsible for the Norton Internet Security Suite), and PC Tools Internet Security - its entry in the internet security suite market — comes with strong heuristic malware detection, but it's weaker in other areas such as traditional malware detection.
PC Tools uses its own antivirus protection, and at first glance PC Tools Internet Security appeared to score very well in AV-Test.org's extensive malware-detection tests for both the on-demand and on-access detection of 2735 files, macro viruses, and scripts, scoring nearly 100 per cent in each.
However, PC Tools missed at least two variations of the Conficker worm in both on-demand and on-access testing. Against the zoo Trojan horses, worms, password-stealers, and other nasties, PCTools identified on average only 58 per cent of the 722,372 collected samples, placing it second to last, just ahead of Comodo.
But on behaviour-based detection of malware, PC Tools Internet Security scored the highest of any suite we've tested. In overall detection, PC Tools produced a warning 93 per cent of the time; detected and blocked 87 per cent of the malware; and removed 80 per cent of the malware.
PC Tools Internet Security also produced strong numbers for detecting and removing rootkits — stealth malware used to hide infections from PC users and security software alike. It successfully removed all nine active rootkits we tested it against.
For performance, AV-Test recorded long file scan times of up to 173 seconds for on-demand scans of a 741MB file. On-access file scans required 66 seconds, compared with only 41 seconds to copy the same file on a system without antivirus installed. In informal testing, PC Tools Internet Security appeared to slow our Windows XP machine more noticeably after installation than other security suites.
In proactively identifying unknown malware for which it doesn't yet have a signature, PC Tools Internet Security scored below average. In tests with 20-week-old signature files, it identified just 29 per cent of malware samples. And on four-week-old signature files it identified only 23 per cent.
According to AV-Test.org, PC Tools Internet Security responds moderately fast to new widespread malware attacks, typically between 6 and 8 hours. But PC Tools also produced the fewest signature updates per month of any suite tested: 34 in January 2009, 30 in February 2009, and 34 in March 2009, averaging 1.1 per day, compared with over 200 per day from Norton.
PC Tools gears its interface for the average consumer; as such, it doesn't offer many configuration options, and for some, that's just fine — it's user friendly; just set it and forget it. For the more advanced, however, such a simple interface will feel constraining. There is little documentation beyond a nominal Quick Start guide, so creating a firewall rule is less intuitive within PC Tools Internet Security than within Windows Firewall.
The suite includes the optional PC Tools Browser Defender toolbar (for Internet Explorer only), which provides antiphishing protection. Unlike many phishing filters, PC Tools does not use lists from antiphishing sites.
Instead, PC Tools relies on heuristic analysis to identify phishing attempts; the company told us that "blacklisting is no longer an effective method of protecting against phishing sites as in our research we found that sites were up for less than 24 hours".
Once installed, Browser Defender missed a few freshly reported phishing sites (less than 2 hours old) listed on DSL Reports Phish Track, but correctly warned against sites more than few hours old.
PC Tools Internet Security does not include parental controls or backup. The company told PC World that "these added components cater for a small [percentage] of the market and unnecessarily bloat a product, often making it cumbersome to install and run".
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google partners with PayPal to bring new checkout options for Android Pay
- Expect prices for PCs and mobile devices to rise this year
- Facebook may use Messenger to push into retail payments
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTSenior Portfolio Analyst. 12 month contract.NSW
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- FTSAP EMAOther
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperOther
- FTAutomation Framework DeveloperVIC
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness and Test Analyst | Student Management SystemQLD
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst (Expression of Interest)QLD
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Biz Talk DeveloperACT
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - SydneyNSW
- FTHealthcare Pre-Sales Consultant - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Java DevelopersACT
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical/ Architecture Java LeadVIC
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Business Case - Risk & Compliance - ContractNSW
- FTAgile Project ManagerOther