SafeHouse Explorer can secure your data on all media, protecting it from unwanted prying eyes.
- Free, works on portable drives
- Doesn't offer the same level of protection as SafeHouse Explorer Professional Edition
SafeHouse also comes in a Personal Edition ($44.35) or the Professional Edition, both of which add more functions and features, for greater protection and more convenience. However, the free SafeHouse Explorer provides good basic security on its own for most average users.
The great thing about today's nearly universal connectivity is how easy it is to share information, pictures and other material with your business associates, friends and family. The bad thing about it is how easy it is for strangers to get access to your data. This is especially true when we carry so much on our USB flash drives, DVDs, laptops and other portable media.
SafeHouse installs its own SafeHouse Explorer on any drive or media you indicate. The SafeHouse Explorer uses Windows Explorer's familiar branching tree structure and drag-and-drop functionality. However, the folders (aka volumes) you create in SafeHouse Explorer are password-protected and use 256-bit Twofish encryption. (For stronger 448-bit encryption, you'll need to purchase the $88.71 Professional Edition.)
When creating a new volume, you have the option of having it filled with random data to make it harder to break into. However, that isn't recommended if you intend to email it, because that will make it more difficult to compress the volume to a smaller size.
Then, you copy or move your files to the volume, which can be as large as 2000 gigabytes and is seen as a separate drive letter on both Windows and SafeHouse Explorer.
The option of a Secure Move completely destroys the original data (after copying it to the SafeHouse volume), by overwriting it with random data, before deleting. In that way, you have access to the secured information, but hackers can't use any of the various recover schemes to extract your data from its original location on your drive.
When SafeHouse Explorer is installed on portable media, such as a USB flash drive, the data can be accessed on any computer into which the media are plugged, without SafeHouse having to be installed on the PC.
But it doesn't leave any trail of that data on the hosting computer. What's more, you can easily email secured volumes, and the recipient will be able to open the files — after you supply the password — without installing any software on their systems.
While the basics of SafeHouse Explorer are familiar and straightforward, the support is better than many pricey, much more complicated programs. On installation, you are given the option to go directly to a series of helpful online videos on how the program works.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review: a Nazi-stomping shooter that's more than the sum of its parts
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCSAP AdminstratorNSW
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTTableau Application Support SpecialistOther
- FTSolution Architect - Security/DigitalVIC
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- FTManager, PortfolioOther
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectACT
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator | Gold CoastQLD
- CC2 x Technical Infrastructure SME - VMware / Storage/ BackupNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCWintel EngineerWA
- FTSenior Software Test AnalystOther
- FTSenior IT Business AnalystOther
- FTNetwork ArchitectVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- FTNetwork Engineer, Voice & DataOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther