SafeHouse Explorer can secure your data on all media, protecting it from unwanted prying eyes.
- Free, works on portable drives
- Doesn't offer the same level of protection as SafeHouse Explorer Professional Edition
SafeHouse also comes in a Personal Edition ($44.35) or the Professional Edition, both of which add more functions and features, for greater protection and more convenience. However, the free SafeHouse Explorer provides good basic security on its own for most average users.
The great thing about today's nearly universal connectivity is how easy it is to share information, pictures and other material with your business associates, friends and family. The bad thing about it is how easy it is for strangers to get access to your data. This is especially true when we carry so much on our USB flash drives, DVDs, laptops and other portable media.
SafeHouse installs its own SafeHouse Explorer on any drive or media you indicate. The SafeHouse Explorer uses Windows Explorer's familiar branching tree structure and drag-and-drop functionality. However, the folders (aka volumes) you create in SafeHouse Explorer are password-protected and use 256-bit Twofish encryption. (For stronger 448-bit encryption, you'll need to purchase the $88.71 Professional Edition.)
When creating a new volume, you have the option of having it filled with random data to make it harder to break into. However, that isn't recommended if you intend to email it, because that will make it more difficult to compress the volume to a smaller size.
Then, you copy or move your files to the volume, which can be as large as 2000 gigabytes and is seen as a separate drive letter on both Windows and SafeHouse Explorer.
The option of a Secure Move completely destroys the original data (after copying it to the SafeHouse volume), by overwriting it with random data, before deleting. In that way, you have access to the secured information, but hackers can't use any of the various recover schemes to extract your data from its original location on your drive.
When SafeHouse Explorer is installed on portable media, such as a USB flash drive, the data can be accessed on any computer into which the media are plugged, without SafeHouse having to be installed on the PC.
But it doesn't leave any trail of that data on the hosting computer. What's more, you can easily email secured volumes, and the recipient will be able to open the files — after you supply the password — without installing any software on their systems.
While the basics of SafeHouse Explorer are familiar and straightforward, the support is better than many pricey, much more complicated programs. On installation, you are given the option to go directly to a series of helpful online videos on how the program works.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Google's Standalone VR and VPS address the clutter and clumsiness of virtual reality
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Software Engineer | Data Feeds | SaaS FintechOther
- TPAnalyst Program SupportVIC
- CCMultiple Project Coordinators - TelcoVIC
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTCX Lead/Customer experience/Customer marketingOther
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- FTEmail Marketing Specialist/ Campaign SpecialistOther
- FTProject Manager-Rail/ Telecommunication /Electrical engineeringOther
- CCBlack Belt - Improvement ManagerVIC
- FTProject Manager - ERPQLD
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- TPInfrastructre Architect | Appian BPM SoftwareQLD
- TPTest ManagerVIC
- FTJunior Java developer. Work Location - CanberraACT
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTPerformance TesterSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Information Security ConsultantOther
- CCDesktop Support EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Infrastructure LeadQLD
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- TPDigital ArchitectNSW
- FTPractice Director Quality Assurance – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- CCOn-boarding SpecialistNSW