Paragon Software SlovoEd 6 Deluxe Russian-English dictionary
A handy dictionary for language translation.
- Simple to use, notes on slang usage
- Word pronunciation function limited to English
Despite showing an interface that’s more XP than Vista, we found this a well featured utility. It may have been aimed more at Russian speakers learning English but it remains an indispensable tool for language students who spend time at a Windows PC, providing easy access to a 27,000+ word bidirectional dictionary.
Price$ 61.95 (AUD)
SlovoEd 6 Deluxe for Windows from Paragon Software is a very handy dictionary for language translation.
As well as designing a host of Windows utilities such as Partition Manager and Drive Backup, Paragon Software has made a name of itself in developing translation dictionaries under the SlovoEd name. These are designed for mobile platforms such as Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry — but are also available as standalone installations for a Windows PC.
We tried SlovoEd 6 Deluxe Russian-English dictionary, one of nine European languages supported, including German, French, Italian and Spanish.
By default SlovoEd 6 Deluxe dictionary installs a shortcut in the Taskbar. Clicking this brings up the SlovoEd dictionary in quick time, as it will already have been loaded at system startup. Also from here it's possible with a right click to reverse the translation direction or set SlovoEd as Always on Top.
Enter a word to look up in the search field and a separate window immediately pops up with the required translation. It really is very simple to use, and using Advanced mode you can keep search word and result all in one window. Like a print dictionary, the found word is represented as type — such as n (noun), v (verb) — along with the syllable to stress. This is particularly useful in Russian, since the difference in sound between stressed and unstressed vowels is quite marked, and getting syllable stress is key to learning good Russian pronunciation.
Any word that appears in the translation window as part of the first word's translation can be subsequently double-clicked, taking you to that word's own entry page. And after searching for a few words you will notice that previous searches are easy to recover, using tabs that appear at the bottom of the window, or a History sidebar. The listing of UK/US spelling variants and even some notes on slang usage were welcome extra touches.
One of the proud features of this range of dictionaries is a word pronunciation function, using real audio samples, but most unfortunately this only works for English words in this Russian language version. Students of Spanish, German, French and Italian however should find their translated words available and spoken by native speakers.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerVIC
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- FTProject Officer / Project Scheduler - Gold Coast BasedOther
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTProject Administrator/CoordinatorSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTNetwork Architect - Brisbane/PerthOther
- FTSignalling Project ManagerWA
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Desktop Support OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Global MarketsOther
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - Onsite - UrgentOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - PEGAOther
- FTNetwork AdministratorVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Identity Access ManagementQLD
- FTWeb DeveloperQLD
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop Support - BrisbaneVIC
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? Azure Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTNetwork Operator - Order Support CentreOther