Paragon Software SlovoEd 6 Deluxe Russian-English dictionary
A handy dictionary for language translation.
- Simple to use, notes on slang usage
- Word pronunciation function limited to English
Despite showing an interface that’s more XP than Vista, we found this a well featured utility. It may have been aimed more at Russian speakers learning English but it remains an indispensable tool for language students who spend time at a Windows PC, providing easy access to a 27,000+ word bidirectional dictionary.
Price$ 61.95 (AUD)
SlovoEd 6 Deluxe for Windows from Paragon Software is a very handy dictionary for language translation.
As well as designing a host of Windows utilities such as Partition Manager and Drive Backup, Paragon Software has made a name of itself in developing translation dictionaries under the SlovoEd name. These are designed for mobile platforms such as Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry — but are also available as standalone installations for a Windows PC.
We tried SlovoEd 6 Deluxe Russian-English dictionary, one of nine European languages supported, including German, French, Italian and Spanish.
By default SlovoEd 6 Deluxe dictionary installs a shortcut in the Taskbar. Clicking this brings up the SlovoEd dictionary in quick time, as it will already have been loaded at system startup. Also from here it's possible with a right click to reverse the translation direction or set SlovoEd as Always on Top.
Enter a word to look up in the search field and a separate window immediately pops up with the required translation. It really is very simple to use, and using Advanced mode you can keep search word and result all in one window. Like a print dictionary, the found word is represented as type — such as n (noun), v (verb) — along with the syllable to stress. This is particularly useful in Russian, since the difference in sound between stressed and unstressed vowels is quite marked, and getting syllable stress is key to learning good Russian pronunciation.
Any word that appears in the translation window as part of the first word's translation can be subsequently double-clicked, taking you to that word's own entry page. And after searching for a few words you will notice that previous searches are easy to recover, using tabs that appear at the bottom of the window, or a History sidebar. The listing of UK/US spelling variants and even some notes on slang usage were welcome extra touches.
One of the proud features of this range of dictionaries is a word pronunciation function, using real audio samples, but most unfortunately this only works for English words in this Russian language version. Students of Spanish, German, French and Italian however should find their translated words available and spoken by native speakers.
Join the newsletter!
The Note 9 is three devices in one.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- 2 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 3 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 4 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 5 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Access thousands of movies for free thanks to Telstra TV Kanopy App
- RMIT Online and AWS offering course in VR and AR
- Apple set release date for iOS 12, watchOS 5, tvOS 12, and macOS Mojave
- Telstra announces refreshed fixed-broadband plans
- Parallels Desktop 14 arrives
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Panasonic FZ1000U OLED TV: Full, in-depth, review
- Oppo Find X: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies