Paragon Software SlovoEd 6 Deluxe Russian-English dictionary
A handy dictionary for language translation.
- Simple to use, notes on slang usage
- Word pronunciation function limited to English
Despite showing an interface that’s more XP than Vista, we found this a well featured utility. It may have been aimed more at Russian speakers learning English but it remains an indispensable tool for language students who spend time at a Windows PC, providing easy access to a 27,000+ word bidirectional dictionary.
Price$ 61.95 (AUD)
SlovoEd 6 Deluxe for Windows from Paragon Software is a very handy dictionary for language translation.
As well as designing a host of Windows utilities such as Partition Manager and Drive Backup, Paragon Software has made a name of itself in developing translation dictionaries under the SlovoEd name. These are designed for mobile platforms such as Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry — but are also available as standalone installations for a Windows PC.
We tried SlovoEd 6 Deluxe Russian-English dictionary, one of nine European languages supported, including German, French, Italian and Spanish.
By default SlovoEd 6 Deluxe dictionary installs a shortcut in the Taskbar. Clicking this brings up the SlovoEd dictionary in quick time, as it will already have been loaded at system startup. Also from here it's possible with a right click to reverse the translation direction or set SlovoEd as Always on Top.
Enter a word to look up in the search field and a separate window immediately pops up with the required translation. It really is very simple to use, and using Advanced mode you can keep search word and result all in one window. Like a print dictionary, the found word is represented as type — such as n (noun), v (verb) — along with the syllable to stress. This is particularly useful in Russian, since the difference in sound between stressed and unstressed vowels is quite marked, and getting syllable stress is key to learning good Russian pronunciation.
Any word that appears in the translation window as part of the first word's translation can be subsequently double-clicked, taking you to that word's own entry page. And after searching for a few words you will notice that previous searches are easy to recover, using tabs that appear at the bottom of the window, or a History sidebar. The listing of UK/US spelling variants and even some notes on slang usage were welcome extra touches.
One of the proud features of this range of dictionaries is a word pronunciation function, using real audio samples, but most unfortunately this only works for English words in this Russian language version. Students of Spanish, German, French and Italian however should find their translated words available and spoken by native speakers.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 2 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 3 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 4 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 5 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
Latest News Articles
- Roccat’s new USB-C Torch microphone can be gesture-muted
- Starlink Internet to be deployed in outback Aussie school
- Got Spotify for desktop? You can now download songs for offline playback
- Amazon's revamped Alexa Voice Remote for Fire TV adds shortcuts to Netflix, Disney+
- Spotify will roll out CD-quality audio streams later this year
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Under-screen camera smartphones enter second-generation
- Smartphone Notches Explained
- Why Real Madrid’s Roberto Carlos banana kicked the new Nokia smartphone
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies