Paragon Software Drive Backup 8.5
- It's Vista-compatible, simple to use and well designed, it can create full and incremental backup images as well as back up from within Windows
- Can't back up individual files and folders
Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 enjoys distinct advantages, and experienced users will find that Drive Backup offers the best overall experience and level of control.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 is the best inexpensive drive-imaging and backup program we've seen.
While the thought of a session with a drive imaging program may not be the dreamiest of propositions, the potential alternative is positively nightmarish. So you'd be well advised to snap up a good imaging program and spend an afternoon ensuring that, regardless of what befalls your PC, at least you've got a reliable copy of your hard drive and can have your old system files up and running within minutes.
Backup isn't so bad
Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 is the best inexpensive drive-imaging and backup program we've seen, and Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 has just had a Vista-compatible version released.
Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 is simple to use, and we preferred it to Norton Save & Restore. It's so well designed that it poses serious competition to higher-end imaging apps such as Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image.
Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 can create full and incremental backup images, and back up from within Windows. Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 gives you the option of creating a small hidden partition (a 'backup capsule') that you can back up to and restore from; all the application is missing is the ability to back up individual files and folders, a feature that Save & Restore and other top programs possess.
We especially liked Paragon Drive Backup 8.5's tabbed main interface, which provides same-window access to tasks, volumes, created images and help. And while Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 doesn't offer the same walk-throughs as Save & Restore, it provides a way to schedule backups with the Windows Scheduler. Paragon Drive Backup 8.5's interface is more suited for intermediate to advanced users who like to see their options.
Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 creates a CD that you can boot from to create and restore images outside the Windows environment (Save & Restore's boot CD is restore only). The Professional Edition adds support for Windows dynamic disks (hard-to-back-up partitions that span multiple disks) and advanced network features.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTLAMP Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTDesktop Support EngineerSA
- FTSenior Citrix Engineer / LeadNSW
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- CCProgram Director- Service Integration and Management (SIAM)NSW
- FTSharePoint Technical Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- CCWCEM DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- CCTesting SpecialistVIC