Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.0
Free scurity software Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.0 delivers great results, though it's a little slow
- Excellent at detecting known malware, easy to use
- Slow scan speeds
Panda Cloud Antivirus is easy to use, but its scanning speeds are slower than average. Look for the Cloud Antivirus 1.3 update, which the company says should improve its attack-blocking capabilities.
Panda Cloud Antivirus is a unique entry in the free antivirus race. Most free antivirus products still rely on signature updates to detect new malware, but Panda's program instead uses fresh data about malware direct from Panda's servers. As a result, Cloud Antivirus put up some excellent results in some malware detection tests, but its scan speeds were slower than we would have liked to see.
Installation and setup for Cloud Antivirus is simple and straightforward: You have to click through only one screen before it starts installing, though I found that it asked to install a browser toolbar. Upon installation, it'll ask you whether you want to use the free or "pro" (for-pay) edition of Cloud Antivirus.
Panda Cloud Antivirus's main interface is really simple: The main window has only four tabs that run across the top — one for the status screen, plus tabs for the scanner, the scan report, and the recycle bin (where neutralised files live — Cloud Antivirus lets you recover files in case it neutralises something you wanted to keep). When you first open Cloud Antivirus, you're presented with a status indicator (a green checkmark if all is well, or a red X if something needs your attention) and a short description of your PC's protection status.
The settings pane is equally simple — press the settings icon in the lower-right corner to open it — but some of its wording could be more helpful.
While Panda Cloud Antivirus doesn't use signatures in the classic sense, it still aced our tests for traditional signature-based scanning and detection methods. It detected 99.8 percent of samples in this test — the highest score among the free antivirus products we looked at.
Cloud Antivirus 1.0 struggled some at blocking actual, live malware attacks from malicious Websites or e-mails: It completely blocked 68 percent of attacks — one of the lower scores in this test — and partially blocked an additional 20 percent.
Note: Panda recently released Cloud Antivirus 1.3, which the company says should improve its blocking of such attacks. We don't yet have test results for the new version of Cloud Antivirus, but when we do we'll update this review.
When it came time to clean up infections, Panda Cloud Antivirus did a good--but not outstanding — job. It detected all test infections, and was able to disinfect all active components of an infection 60 percent of the time. The free antivirus software we looked at removed 68 percent of active components, on average, and no product managed a cleanup rate of over 80 percent.
In addition, Cloud Antivirus removed all components of an infection — including Registry keys and other bits and pieces — 50 percent of the time, which was the best showing among the free products we looked at.
Scan speeds, though, lagged well behind the pack. Cloud Antivirus completed a manual (on-demand) scan of 4.5GB of files in 5 minutes, 10 seconds--the slowest time recorded in this test. It also fared poorly in on-access scan tests, which shows how well it can scan files as they're opened or saved to disk: It scanned 4.5GB of files in 5 minutes, 38 seconds, a mere three seconds ahead of the the last-place finisher.
And although its impact on overall PC performance was fairly limited relative to other free antivirus products, Cloud Antivirus significantly slowed startup and shutdown times in our tests. It added over 11 seconds to startup time compared to a PC without antivirus software installed (the average free antivirus product added around 6 seconds to startup time), and over 17 seconds to shutdown time (the average antivirus product added around 13 seconds to shutdown time).
Panda Cloud Antivirus is definitely worth considering on the strength of its signature-based detection tests; however, we can't fully endorse it until we're able to test Cloud Antivirus version 1.3.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk CoordinatorOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileACT
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTManager, PortfolioOther
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - GISQLD
- CCCyber AnalystVIC
- CCData Center Operations EngineerWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AdviceOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTSenior Network Designer - Australian Citizenship RequiredOther
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTBusiness Project Manager - Non ITNSW
- CCSenior Salesforce Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- FTSenior Java DevelopersACT
- FTTechnology Development ManagerQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTWindows EngineerOther
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD