Panasonic TH-P58V10A plasma television
Panasonic's behemoth plasma TV has a THX-certified image mode and a svelte body
- Thin body is good for wall mounting, movie-optimised THX mode
- Nothing worth mentioning
This large-screen plasma television has a body that's only 2in thick, a THX mode that optimises picture quality for movie watching, and a range of cinema-quality picture enhancements. If we were in the market for a big screen television, the Panasonic TH-P58V10A would probably top our list.
Price$ 4,599.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic TH-P58V10A is a 58in plasma television with a thin chassis and a great display panel. It may be expensive, but this is about the only downside — it has great image quality, it's super-slim and can be easily wall mounted, and its power consumption isn't particularly bad.
When we first unpacked the Panasonic TH-P58V10A, we were surprised at its relative lightness. Don't get us wrong, it's still 51kg of metal and glass, but we were able to move it around without any extra help. The chassis is all metal so it feels well constructed, and the front plastic bezel is pleasantly thick. A power button on the front panel provides an easy way of turning the television off completely to save power, though the buttons on the right for volume and channel allow a soft-off for quick start-up.
The Panasonic TH-P58V10A misses out on the Viera Cast online access features of the Panasonic TH-P50G15A, so there's no Ethernet port on the rear. There are four HDMI ports, though, so you won't have any trouble connecting a media streamer or media centre PC. A host of analog connections — two component, four composite, two S-Video and one VGA — allow a veritable fleet of legacy equipment to be connected.
We tried the Panasonic TH-P58V10A with a ASRock Ion 330 HT-BD media centre PC connected via HDMI and VGA, as well as a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook via VGA. A suite of Blu-ray movies — Year One, Angels and Demons, The Dark Knight and Terminator: Salvation — made their way through the ASRock media centre PC's Blu-ray drive, and we were consistently very impressed with the Panasonic TH-P58V10A's performance.
In the THX-certified image mode we saw great black levels and wonderfully clean colours — though perhaps very slightly undersaturated. There is a reasonably large range of adjustability for brightness, sharpness, saturation and contrast levels — it's not as powerful as the Panasonic TH-P50VX100W but there's room to tweak the picture to suit your living space.
A contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1 means that the Panasonic TH-P58V10A has the versatility to display detail in both dark and bright areas of the screen. Motion is consistently smooth when needed. However, 24p compatibility means Blu-ray video with a 24Hz refresh rate is displayed faithfully. Put simply, if you need a television that's got great image quality, the Panasonic TH-P58V10A has it in spades.
The Panasonic TH-P58V10A plasma television is only 2in thick, making it a perfect candidate for wall-mounting. We think it has noticeably superior image quality to other super-slim TVs like the Sony Bravia KDL40ZX1, so if you're looking for a screen to be part of a proper 'home theatre' installation this should be high on your list.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Hisense Full HD TV and Refrigerator Top the List in 2017 ProductReview Awards
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- First Look: LG's Signature Range
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- CCBusiness Analysts - agileACT
- FTSolution Manager - SAPOther
- FTJunior Python Developer - TradingOther
- FTBusiness Project Manager - Retail Store ChainOther
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- FTService Desk CoordinatorOther
- FTChange Manager, Business RelocationsOther
- CCPortfolio Manager - GovernanceVIC
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking and FinanceOther
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- TPSystems EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTCustomer & Sales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCWorkforce Capacity Analyst - Contract with Large Telco in Pennant HillsNSW
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- TPDigital StategistACT
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- PTDirector Programme Management OfficeSA