Panasonic TH-P50G15A plasma television
Panasonic's latest 50-inch plasma television adds wired Internet access to an already strong performer
- Viera Cast Web access to YouTube is a useful feature, YouTube HD video is clear and detailed
- Access to Picasa and Bloomberg sites may not a big plus to many users, no wireless, $200 price premium over Panasonic G10A plasma TV series
The Panasonic TH-P50G15A plasma TV offers up the seemingly enticing prospect of integrated Web access through a wired Ethernet port. If you have one of many digital video devices that already do this, you might be better off saving some cash with Panasonic's cheaper G10A plasma TV.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic TH-P50G15A is a well-designed, 50in plasma television offering great picture quality, but its access to Internet sites including YouTube, Picassa and Bloomberg’s stock, business and weather reports wasn't as groundbreaking as we’d anticipated. Nonetheless it remains a good quality plasma television for the right buyer.
When we reviewed the Panasonic TH-P50G10A — its great contrast and picture quality and relatively affordable price tag made it an easy recommendation. The Panasonic TH-P50G15A — that's G15A, not G10A — is an evolution in regard to Panasonic's plasma television line-up. The G15A has an identical plasma panel as the Panasonic TH-P50G10A, as such its picture quality and image processing is the same too. When we tested the picture quality of the Panasonic TH-P50G10A we found that its 2000000:1 contrast ratio and Full HD resolution produced excellent image results. The G15A’s design is also very similar to the G10A — an additional HDMI port on the G15A (it has 4 HDMI ports) is the only significant difference between the models.
The G15A series adds an Ethernet networking port so you can access selected Internet sites using your home network. 'Viera Cast' is Panasonic's name for the new Internet features on the TH-P50G15A plasma TV. Connecting through an Ethernet port and using either the automatic or manual IP address configuration, you can browse YouTube videos, Picasa Web Album picture slideshows and peruse stock, business and weather forecasts through the Bloomberg service using the Viera Cast service.
The system works well with intuitive and simple controls, and it isn't noticeably slow or laggy. The YouTube videos are shown at full-screen size where appropriate. As expected standard definition YouTube videos showed in poor quality with compression artifacting and blockiness, but YouTube HD's 720p high-definition videos were smooth and detailed in full-screen mode. In our tests the Picasa Web Albums functionality was easy to use and the images displayed were of high quality, although we would have preferred the equally popular Flickr to also be included as a photo browsing service. The Bloomberg service is good for checking stock and business news, but in our tests the weather service’s forecasts were not very accurate (but hey who can get the weather right?).
The Panasonic Viera Cast system is well implemented but we have to question its value add at a cost of $200 over the G10A. For the additional cost you could put it toward a Blu-ray disc player (which may have YouTube access, like the LG BD390), a wall mount or an extended warranty — a more worthwhile expenditure in our opinion.
Nonetheless our tests show that the Panasonic TH-P50G15A is a good all-round plasma television. It has the same excellent picture quality as the TH-P50G10A and the current Internet access features may be useful to some users — even though we think they're not great value with the present offerings.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- First Look: LG's Signature Range
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Desktop AdministratorNSW
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTProject Manager- Cloud -Federal GovernmentOther
- CCICT Lead / Senior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTCloud Infrastructure Architect - Townsville Location - PermQLD
- FTINCIDENT MANAGEROther
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTSAP PM Functional ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst – Office 365 ProjectOther
- CCCerner Senior Applications Specialist - Brisbane basedNSW
- FTPlanner - Network Planning and Strategy (Telco Environment)Other
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- TPService Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist O365NSW
- FTOracle DB & Python DeveloperVIC
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- TPSenior Solution ArchitectNSW