Panasonic TH-50PZ850A plasma television
A good value Panasonic plasma television with an SD card slot and acceptable image quality
- Well-designed remote, SD card slot
- Average picture quality
The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is pretty good value, especially in view of its generous array of extra features.
Price$ 3,899.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is a pretty good value, especially in view of its generous array of extra features. Not only can it display your pictures and run your videos off its SD card slot, but this set also does an adequate, though not extraordinary, job displaying movies and TV shows.
The 480Hz Sub-Field Drive promises to improve fast-moving sequences by flashing the image eight times for every frame, or 480 times per second. But in our image quality tests, we didn't detect any tangible improvement. Though I liked the way the Panasonic TH-PZ850A handled fast motion in the Mission: Impossible III Blu-ray test clip, not all of the other judges agreed. And this TV did a poor job in our other fast-movement test — the 720p NASCAR clip. There I noticed heavy pixelation surrounding the cars as they spun around the track in a wide shot.
Overall, we deemed the Panasonic TH-PZ850A's picture quality good but not great. Among the problems judges noted were pixelation in long shots, reddish tones on Caucasian skin, and a bad overscan when handling a 720p source. The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A also has an SD Card slot. It can show you a slideshow of your JPEG photos, or play your videos if they're in AVCHD or MPEG2 format.
The model does have a very good (albeit not backlit) programmable remote. It's long, but the buttons are big and easy to find with your thumb.
The blocky on-screen menus aren't pretty, but they're functional and easy to read. If you get confused, a picture at the bottom of the menu reminds you where the OK and Return buttons are and what to do with them. An easy-access Sub Menu (a poor choice of name; it's not a submenu but a secondary, small, and simple menu) lets you change common options such as Closed Captioning and Favorites without having to navigate the main menu.
The sound quality is acceptable, but no better than that. It emulates surround sound reasonably well and becomes only slightly strained when things get loud. But you won't want to depend on your TV's speakers if sound is important to you.
I wish that the image quality were a bit better, but the Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is definitely worth its price. A higher-rated big-screen plasma television to consider is the LG 50PG30FD.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCMySQL Database AdministratorQLD
- TPLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior Java DeveloperOther
- CCRF Engineer - Melbourne Based, Start ASAPVIC
- CCJunior Website AdministratorACT
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystOther
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSQL Server DeveloperQLD
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- FTMarketing Communications ManagerOther
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTConfiguration AnalystOther
- TPProject Manager/Business Analyst - HPWQLD
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTTransport EngineerOther
- FTChief Information Security OfficerVIC
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- CCSAP CRM Functional Consultants - Multiple rolesVIC
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantQLD
- FTICT Infrastructure / Server EngineerSA
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther