- DVD-RAM support, reliable
- Slow CD ripping and DVD writing
This drive is recommended for users who are after a drive that can read and write to DVD-RAM discs as well as all other DVD formats. Its CD performance was average and users looking for a drive to rip lots of music CDs will find the SW9585C unsuitable.
Price$ 180.00 (AUD)
This is one the few drives with the ability to write to non-cartridge type DVD-RAM discs, which makes it desirable if you already own a DVD-RAM-based set top DVD recorder. If you're a heavy user of rewritable discs then DVD-RAM will benefit you because of its robustness. DVD-RAM discs use error correction and can theoretically be rewritten up to 100,000 times. In addition, the discs can be used just like a hard drive, which means you can drag and drop data to and from the disc without having to finalise it, and programs can even be installed onto it. Of course, it will only be readable in drives that support DVD-RAM.
The SW9585C's supports 4X double layer burning. It created a disc that was playable in our older Pioneer 106D DVD burner and our Zensonic Z330 DVD player.
We didn't have any problems with any of its DVD burning or read functions, although when it came time to rip a music CD the drive proved slower than most others we have looked at. Music CD rips took close to 10 minutes.
This drive is one of the few that uses the PCAV method for reading DVD discs, and its real world performance proved very good. Its DVD-R read performance in particular was very quick.
It's also one of few drives to use the CLV method, instead of the CAV method, for writing DVDs. Its write performance was average for DVD+R and DVD+R DL media, while its DVD-R time was rather slower than many of the other drives we have tested.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- FTSecurity Analyst - Operational SupportOther
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)NSW
- TPCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTRigger TechniciansOther
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- TPBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- CCLevel 1 and 2 Help Desk OfficerQLD
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- CCPortfolio Insights and Delivery ConsultantVIC
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- CCAngular DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Improvement Specialist (Six Sigma Green belt) - Contract - North SydneyNSW
- TPSenior Change ManagerACT
- CC.net DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital BAOther