- Great sound quality, easy setup, good looks
- Minimal video inputs, irritating menu system
An attractive package for converting just one or two devices to surround. It looks great and offers wonderful sound, but for combining the control of four or five devices, there are better alternatives.
Price$ 659.00 (AUD)
In the SC-HT15, Panasonic offers a simple receiver and speaker combination that allows you to upgrade your existing input devices (DVD, VCR, CD player and so on) to a surround sound setup, with minimal cost and without the hassle of having to replace anything.
The system comes with a standard 5.1 speaker setup: two front speakers, two rear speakers, a centre speaker and a subwoofer. The two front speakers look very stylish; they're large, contoured and sit on top of metal stands. They also have an option for wall mounting, which is useful in small spaces, but the package does not include all the necessary tools and components for this.
The rear and centre speakers are smaller, but not so small as to inhibit sound quality. All the speakers plug directly into the subwoofer, which then connects to the receiver, rather than each manually plugging into the main unit--which keeps the back clear for swapping and changing devices.
The unit itself is slim, sleek and reasonably stylish. Initially we were amazed at the size, as the SC-HT15 is less than 4cm thick, but upon closer inspection we realised how this was possible, and also discovered one of the big weaknesses of the system. The receiver is exclusively an audio receiver. This means it does not take video input of any kind. A basic setup with this system involves plugging your DVD player's video output into the television, and its audio output into the receiver. Using multiple devices (CD players, VCRs, game consoles and the like) requires elaborate combinations of video and audio inputs. Most other receivers concentrate control over all one's entertainment devices into a single box, so it seems remiss not to include this sort of functionality.
It's a pity, because the sound quality is excellent. We were particularly impressed with the centre speaker, which sounded fantastic. The subwoofer produced a great rumbling with little distortion, and the back speakers had just enough presence to create a proper surround environment without being overbearing. We picked up almost no distortion, regardless of the volume used or the pitch of the sound.
The menu system left something to be desired. Navigation was unnecessarily difficult on the console, and the remote was not self-explanatory. It took a good while poring over the manual before we had much idea of how to manipulate the sound field. That said, there were plenty of options to control the levels of the individual speakers as well as a bass boost function.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior NodeJS DeveloperQLD
- FTAutomation Framework DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior Python Developer - TradingOther
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- TPPrincipal Project Manager | ApplicationsQLD
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTIntegration DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Change ManagerACT
- CCSenior RF Engineer - OptimisationVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Infrastructure Projects)Other
- FTAgile CoachOther
- CCNetwork DesignerQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTMarketing Manager - IT ServicesOther
- FTChange ManagerSA
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTProject Administrator, IT ProgramOther
- FTRecords AnalystOther
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- FT.Net Analyst Programmer | SupportOther