- Highly portable, great handling of high resolution images
- Not suitable for home theatre use, some chromatic aberrations on horizontal white lines
A great combination of portability and functionality, the Panasonic PT-LB51E is an attractive option for businesses looking for a lightweight and easy to use projector.
Price$ 1,649.00 (AUD)
Panasonic's PT-LB51E is a lightweight, slim business projector with a 4:3 aspect ratio and resolution of 1024 x 768. Designed primarily for portability, the LB51E also manages to deliver impressive image quality, and is more than capable of handling most presentation tasks. Although its small range of connection options limits its home theatre potential, it nevertheless is a well designed and highly functional business projector.
We started by testing the projector with a range of standard presentation tasks, including slideshows, images, and simple videos. Sharpness and clarity were great, and still images were clear with text easy to read. Even high resolution images didn't lose their finer detail. The one flaw we noticed was that white text, particularly on a black background, displayed some chromatic aberrations, with greens and reds leaking on the borders between the two colours. Moving text and video was clear and didn't suffer from any overt ghosting or loss of quality.
We then ran the projector through our range of DisplayMate Video Edition tests, in order to get a more specific idea of image problems. The PT-LB51E handled the vast majority of these tests excellently, with great grey levels and bright colours. We did notice the chromatic aberration again, however it appeared to be confined to horizontal lines. Otherwise, the projector handled the rest of the tests admirably, again showing its ability to reproduce high resolution images with minimal loss of detail.
Even a cursory glance at this unit shows that it's built for portability. Measuring 297x210mm (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper), and only 57mm in height, the PT-LB51E is designed to be carried around with a laptop or briefcase relatively easily. The design is compact and uniform, without protruding parts to make carrying the unit cumbersome. At 1.9kg, it's also relatively light.
The rear panel houses a limited array of connection options, including S-Video, composite, and two RGB inputs. An extra pair of audio inputs is also available for PC connection, although the size and form factor of the projector limit its inbuilt speakers from delivering massive amounts of power.
The lack of digital or high definition connections and the projector's weak speakers severely limit its home entertainment use, although it could relatively easily be used to play DVDs or standard definition digital TV. Its performance in this area is relatively average, although this can be excused due to its portability and business functionality.
The Panasonic PT-LB51E is a great business projector. A few image aberrations prevent it from being perfect, but its great handling of high resolution imagery and lightweight design make it a perfect business projector for those looking for a good combination of function and portability.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
- Alienware 13 full, in-depth review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLAMP Stack Developer/ PHP DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingOther
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- FTProject SchedulerOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCJunior Security AnalystNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperWA
- FTTest AnalystSA
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTFront End Developer (AEM / Java)Other
- FTVoice Solution Engineer - Telecommunications (Unified Comms)Other
- FTPeopleSoft Business Analyst - PageUp implementationOther
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTAutomation SpecialistOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperOther
- FTSenior PHP Developer/Team LeaderNSW
- FTLevel 2 and 3 Server EngineerOther
- CCDevOps LeadVIC
- FTSenior Agile ConsultantOther
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Automation Test Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Agile ConsultantOther