Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
- Very solidly built
- Image noise at higher ISO levels
A competent entry into the 8 megapixel arena.
Price$ 769.00 (AUD)
Panasonic's new Lumix DMC-FZ5 is an upgrade to the popular DMC-FZ3, and brings with it a higher resolution CCD and a slightly tweaked design. Although seemingly identical to its predecessor, closer inspection reveals a more substantial grip and a better-placed shutter button.
While it has the same outstanding Leica 12x optical zoom lens as before, the change from a 1/3.2in 3Mp CCD to a 1/2.5in 5Mp sensor has slowed the aperture to F2.8-F3.3 (the DMC-FZ3 was F2.8 throughout).
In use, the camera is very responsive, with a fast start-up (about 3sec) and marginal processing time between shots. The improved optical image stabiliser is a useful accompaniment to the long zoom, with none of the fringing that this feature caused in previous models. However, despite claims of improvement, we found the autofocus a little sluggish and not always accurate. A full manual focus mode would help, but that's a feature reserved for the more expensive DMC-FZ20.
That aside, the DMC-FZ5 provides a range of advanced controls, including shutter/aperture priority and full manual modes, live histogram display, three metering modes and six autofocus settings. Image quality is extremely good - although you'll notice pronounced barrel distortion at wide angle - and if you're not happy with the default colour balance, you can increase or decrease the saturation, but not the sharpness.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Panasonic Announces LUMIX DC-GH5 Firmware Update Service
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSAP FICO ConsultantOther
- FTBatch support specialistVIC
- TPProject Manager - Information ManagementVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - InfrastructureVIC
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceWA
- FTSenior BA Wealth ADVICEOther
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- TPProject Manager - Network, Security and Wi-FiQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager Consulting ITQLD
- FTInfrastructure/Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCPortfolio ManagerNSW
- TPDatabase AdmininstratorACT
- TPDevOps EngineerQLD
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTTechnical Lead / Senior Network EngineerOther
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Network Consultant / Junior ArchitectVIC
- FTRelease Coordinator - Fixed TermOther