Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20
- Big zoom, comfortable control layout, great pictures
- Nothing noticeable
A great advanced camera that offers enthusiasts everything they could want.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic FZ20 has been accurately described as "SLR-like". It's an advanced point-and-shoot model that offers many of the features of an SLR, without actually utilising that technology.
It is a large camera, with a massive 12x optical zoom lens. The good-looking body is cased in speckled black plastic with a rubber grip and it feels very solid. The exception to this is the popup flash, which feels thin and poorly mounted. The camera also has a hot shoe to mount another flash.
The controls are a great improvement over Panasonic's other point-and-shoot models. They tend to have controls that are packed too closely together, which makes navigation difficult and clumsy sometimes. Thankfully, on the DMC-FZ20 there's a single pad rather than four directional buttons, and there isn't a button in the middle to get in the way. We loved the control layout on this camera; everything was within reach.
The FZ20 has a full set of manual controls, ranging from aperture and shutter priority modes as well as a full manual shooting mode. Aperture can be set to anywhere between f/2.8 and f/8, and shutter speed stretches from 8 seconds to 1/2000th.
There are also ten preset shooting modes covering the basics such as night mode, portrait and landscape. The ISO options come up a little lacking, only going as high as 400, but we really can't complain about the overall amount of control offered. You can even alter the image in terms of sharpness, saturation, contrast and colour mode (with four options available including sepia and black and white).
No matter how many features a camera has, however, it has to take good photos to be worth buying - and the DMC-FZ20 takes some brilliant photos. Despite only being five megapixels, the sharpness and clarity of its photos are easily comparable to those of photos from a seven or eight megapixel camera. The colour saturation was a little weak in some parts of our test photos, but generally it is better to understate than overstate powerful shades like reds and blues, and ultimately the pictures didn't really suffer.
Assisting image quality is Panasonic's Image Stabiliser technology. This helps compensate for movement during photography and may help explain why the images we took were so sharp.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TP.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSCADA Project MaanagerOther
- CCMiddleware Messaging SpecialistVIC
- FTSAP Functional Analyst x 4. HCM ProgramOther
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- TPSystems Support AnalystQLD
- CCDigital Project Manager - AdobeVIC
- CCProject Administrator OR project coordinatorNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectNSW
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTPenetration TesterNSW
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerNSW
- CCReporting AnalystNSW
- FTCCNA Network EngineerOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - BrisbaneNSW
- FTPower BI DeveloperOther
- FTDesktop Support Level 2ACT
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Solution Architect - TransformationOther
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- FTAPS 6 Scrum MasterACT
- CCTest Analyst - Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence (BI) Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other