OXX Digital Vantage digital radio
The Vantage is a portable digital radio with an appealing price tag
- Good reception, light, comes with a 12-month warranty (or 24 months if online registration is completed)
- Some sound distortion when volume is turned up high
We are very impressed with the Vantage: it has great features, it's aesthetically pleasing and, for a digital radio, it's cheap!
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Finally! A digital radio that has a decent price tag yet doesn't make any compromises when it comes to sound quality. OXX Digital's Vantage looks as good as it sounds, with a retro design that’s very easy on the eye.
OXX has really impressed us with this little radio. Reception was clear during our tests, even when the aerial was not extended. The sound quality is great for a small digital radio, despite only having a single speaker.
Navigating the radio's interface is simple with the scroll and select wheel. The LCD screen illuminates when you press a button or turn the wheel, and the text on the two-line display is easy to read. You can store up to 10 preset stations on the Vantage.
The Vantage won't take up too much space when it sits on your bedside table, desk or kitchen bench, and it’s light enough (1.3kg) to carry around.
An auxiliary input allows you to plug in your MP3 player and play your own music if the radio stations ain’t ticklin’ your fancy. The Vantage can also be connected to a hi-fi system, or you can plug in a pair of headphones. There is a DC power port, which means you can avoid running down the four C cell batteries that the radio uses.
For those who like listening to music as they doze off the Vantage has a programmable sleep timer. It also offers a dual alarm clock with a snooze function
Overall sound quality is great, although when the volume is at a high level you get a little bit of distortion coming through the single 2W, full-range speaker. The Vantage has decent mid-range and treble balance, but it’s somewhat bothersome that there are no controls for adjusting bass and treble.
The Vantage is quite aesthetically pleasing, though the font used to label buttons looks slightly odd and is a little hard to read.
OXX Digital's Vantage is a great product and another success for the company: it's an excellent little digital radio with an appealing price.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 2 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 3 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
- 5 Oppo A5Xs review: Cutting corners
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- How the Xbox Series X (and xCloud) saved me from buying a gaming PC
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies