- Ease of setup, design, can make a Skype and landline call in the same home,
- Requires connection to a PC, no handset locator button on charging cradle, keypad not backlit, only compatible with Skype.
The IP800 is definitely an option worth considering if you are an avid Skype user.
Price$ 109.00 (AUD)
The Oricom IP800 is a cordless phone for both Skype and ordinary telephone calls. The IP800 connects to your PC via a standard USB connection, as well as your regular telephone line.
The IP800 consists of three main parts; a phone, a charging cradle and a base station. The base station has two inputs on its rear, one connecting AC power, and the other a standard RJ-11 telephone line jack. The design of the IP800 is separated to allow users to put the base station next to their PC and the phone and cradle where they would normally have a standard cordless telephone.
Setup is as simple as connecting all the appropriate cords and plugging both the base station and the charging cradle into AC power. Oricom recommends charging the handset for up to 14 hours before initial use. Users simply then log into their Skype account, and most of its features, such as contacts lists and status, are be displayed on the phone itself.
In-call quality was quite good for both Skype and landline calls. Keep in mind that the quality of a Skype call depends on a number of factors, including the quality and reliability of your Internet connection. Our test calls did experience some unwanted echo and background hissing, and some of our callers complained of our voice not being loud enough. For most part though, the IP800 performed as expected.
The IP800 supports both SkypeOut and SkypeIn calls and the phone itself is quite easy to grasp. All the functions are accessed by pressing the menu key and scrolling through lists using the up/down buttons below the screen. Calling another Skype user on your contact list is as easy as pressing the Skype key on the phone, selecting the name in the list and pressing talk. Similarly, dialling a phone number and pressing the call button makes a regular landline call. The IP800 also has a hands-free speakerphone, nine distinctive ring tones, and a 50-name and number phone book for landline calls. Up to five handsets can be connected and two calls can be made at the same time; a VoIP call on one handset and a landline call on the other.
The user interface is solid, with a bright orange backlight and large text combining to make the display easily readable. The main screen of the phone provides various status indicators, including a reception indicator, battery life indicator, and a number of notifications including missed calls, voicemail, keypad lock and silent mode. The main display also shows your Skype online status and the current time. In the menu, users can change their Skype online status, set the time, check their call history, search for other Skype users, access the phonebook and check their Skype credit.
The design of the IP800 is much like a standard cordless telephone, with the exception of the Skype button in the bottom left hand corner. Oricom has included dedicated keys for menu, redial/mute, answer/end call, speakerphone and intercom, and all the buttons provide solid tactile feedback. Our only complaint with the design is that the keys aren't backlit, so making a call at night may be a hit and miss affair. Also, the "locate handset" button is only on the base station and not the charging cradle, which seems a little strange. The IP800 runs off two AAA, rechargeable batteries and these are included in the sales package.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Wi-Fi Alliance introduces a certification program for new smart home construction
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist O365NSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- FTTM1 DeveloperOther
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support EngineerOther
- FTSenior Digital ProducerNSW
- CCWindows & Linux Systems Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTBI Service Operations LeadOther
- CCSenior SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTProcess SME (Continuous Improvement)Other
- CCCapacity PlannerVIC
- TPSolution Architect - Networks & SecurityQLD
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Support SpecialistACT