Oregon Scientific Smart Globe
- Fun to use, comprehensive coverage, built-in challenges, news function
- Smart Pen inaccuracy
The Smart Globe does have some minor problems, but the price is very reasonable, and it also offers live update via the Internet, making it an ideal tool to help children learn about the world.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Recently at GoodGearGuide we seem to have encountered an increasingly large number of toys that have the ability to speak. While devices such as the RS Media, with its eerie comments about watching when we sleep, are just downright spooky, the Oregon Scientific Smart Globe is a slightly less menacing product.
More of a learning tool than an actual toy, the Smart Globe looks like a regular globe, except it has touch sensitive pads built into its surface. By simply tapping different areas of the globe with the included Smart Pen, a variety of pieces of information are read out about the location in question; quite cool. It does have some minor accuracy problems, but the price is very reasonable, and it also offers live update via an Internet connection, making it an ideal tool to help children learn about the world.
While the globe itself looks quite normal, resting underneath, attached to the stand, is a menu system. It operates in the same touch sensitive way the globe does, responding to the Smart Pen, but not to a finger. The number of options on offer is huge. The Smart Globe tells all kinds of things about each country, ranging from currency, population, highest point, land mass and language. It also offers comparisons, for example, how big China is compared to Russia.
The fun doesn't stop there however; there are also a number of built in challenges, where rather than merely moving around the world and touching different places, users actually have to put their knowledge to the test. Again there are a series of options, our favourite being the "ultimate challenge". With such a name, and this being a children's toy, we felt obligated to defend our pride and boost our self-esteem a little, but this wound up proving more difficult than we'd anticipated. The challenge asks all kinds of questions, ranging from finding the capitals of specific and sometimes obscure countries, through to locating certain landmarks like seas and rivers. It quickly made us realise that knowing where New York is does not mean we are geographical wizards.
There are also a variety of fun options, including the rather enjoyable "Amazing Facts". Did you know that Cairo is home to what is thought of as the world's first university? Neither did we! A lot of the facts are completely useless from a practical sense, but they provide quite a lot of amusement between testing your geographical metal. There is also a news option, where you can find out current events from a specific location. Unfortunately there is only one of these stored for each country at a time, but using the auto update feature can get new updates daily.
We were impressed with how comprehensive the Smart Globe's coverage was. Every country was represented, even tiny islands in the middle of nowhere. That said however, we did struggle with the Smart Pen's accuracy a little bit. Hitting tiny countries like Belgium is certainly a task and we'd like to see the sensor made a little more precise in future versions.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- WalabotDIY, the 3D Imaging Tool That Gives Consumers ‘Superman-Vision’, Launches Today in Australia
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Australian startup launches Tiller Kickstarter campaign
- Anki Arrives In Oz
- Griffin's PowerMate is the Surface Dial dead-ringer that's trapped in Mac land
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- FTAPI Integration Technical Lead -$1150 per dayOther
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- PTDirector Programme Management OfficeSA
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- FTManager, Digital DeliveryOther
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTChange AnalystOther
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystNSW
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)VIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)SA
- CCDeployment ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- TPProcurement ManagerACT